Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that is critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is looking for a Senior Wetland Scientist/Permitting Specialist to support a high-volume environmental services program for a large utility client. The successful candidate will support delivery of consulting services and client deliverables, develop improvements to workflow, coordinate with the team, task leads, program manager, and clients to direct multiple tasks and subprograms.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare and provide technical review of jurisdictional delineation reports and regulatory permit applications, including Clean Water Act (CWA) 404/401, Waste Discharge Requirements (WDR), and California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) Section 1600 Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreement (LSAA).
- Oversee and mentor junior staff.
- Engage in the workflow to identify process improvements to provide added value to the client.
- Review workload demands to evaluate and adjust staffing needs to meet client goals.
- Manage and delegate tasks to Stantec staff and subcontractors.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong attention to detail, quantitative analysis, and technical report writing skills.
- Proficiency in MS Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and ability to learn and use various Stantec and client systems.
- Self-motivated; resilient initiative.
- Solid time management and follow-through skills, with the ability to simultaneously work on and manage multiple tasks/projects with demanding deadlines.
- Track record of consistently satisfied clients.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams.
- Contribute and lead multiple concurrent work efforts.
- Ability to process and evaluate large volumes of information.
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership.
- Willingness to travel periodically and work in multiple field conditions within California.
- Physically fitness and ability to navigate rugged conditions on foot (day and night work may be necessary).
- Ability to obtain clearance through client background check to access online system (upon employment).
- Comply with all Stantec and client policies including those related to safety, anti-harassment, and drug use.
- Must have California Wetland permitting experience.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, biology, or related science and minimum of 6 years of environmental consulting experience.
- Minimum of 6 years of demonstrable experience conducing wetland/waters delineation in southern California and preparing associated jurisdictional reports and supporting documentation.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience leading preparation of regulatory wetlands/waters permits (CWA 404/401, WDR, and CDFW LSAA), including drafting applications, quality assurance/quality control, and client submittal.
Office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work, or combination of office and field. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs. Ability to navigate rugged conditions on foot (day and night work may be necessary).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.