About the job
Job Title: Climate Resilience and Environment Specialist
Reporting to : Programme Development & Support, NL
Location: Uganda, based at the ZOA Country Office
Starting date: as soon as possible
Working hours: 40 hours / week
Purpose of the position
The Climate Resilience and Environment Specialist is ZOA’s key advisor on integration of climate and environment in its humanitarian and recovery work, guided by the Strategic Plan 2023-2026 and in line with commitments made under the Climate and Environment Charter for Humanitarian NGOs. This is a new position within ZOA, with both internal and outward looking aspects:
- Providing advice, tools, and ways of working to ZOA’s country offices and HQ staff on how to accelerate activities around climate resilience and environmental sustainability
- Adhering to Dutch and international standards on energy and climate in the relief/recovery sphere
- Supporting the implementation of climate resilience activities at country level
- Steering the knowledge agenda on climate and environmental action
- Participating in relevant international networks and specifically in the East Africa Region
As a member of the Programme Development and Support team, you will support humanitarian and recovery field operations, with the following main tasks and responsibilities:
- Lead and steer ZOA’s work with regards to our climate and environmental sustainability ambitions as laid down in our Strategic Plan ‘Towards Peace and Resilience,’ together with colleagues from HQ and country offices.
- This includes the roll-out of a climate and environmental risk analysis tool for projects and operations, introduction and strengthening of climate and environment related activities in projects and programmes.
- Advise on embedding climate resilience activities in project proposals to institutional and private donors. Participate in proposal development teams to ensure that proposals have a climate resilience related approach embedded in activities.
- Deliver technical assistance to project staff in the field of climate and environment
- Advise senior management in HQ and country offices on programs, communication and fundraising related to climate change and environmental impacts.
- Ensure Climate Resilience and Environmental Monitoring are integrated into MEAL systems.
- Provide capacity building opportunities to ZOA staff on climate resilience and environmental safeguarding in their project work.
- Support with the recruitment of key staff working in the relevant technical sectors
Who you are
- You fully support the vision, mission, and Christian values of ZOA and can link these to climate action.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about climate resilience and related topics as they relate to the relief and recovery sector
Knowledge and experience
- Professional level English (written and spoken) is a requirement for this position. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Relevant education at master level in International Development Studies or other studies related to climate, environment, or sustainability.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with climate, environment, and sustainability issues.
- Experience with the development and use of climate and environment assessment tools and approaches, delivery of training and facilitation of knowledge development,
- A record of accomplishment in successful fundraising
- good verbal and written communication skills;
- Enjoys inspiring people and building capacity, helping people learn;
- Good moderation skills to guide internal discussions on climate change actions;
- good networking skills;
- good proposal writing and reporting skills;
- enjoys taking initiative;
- flexible attitude, result oriented;
- Independent work attitude: you strike a good balance between space for own initiative and collaboration and coordination with peers and colleagues.
- A national staff member position, based at ZOA’s country office in Uganda, under local contract
- Duration of the position: 1 year; with intention to renew
- Travel to other ZOA locations up to 25% of the time, for up to a month at a time, as well as ZOA field locations within countries
ZOA offers you a challenging and highly relevant job, an inspiring and motivated team and good benefits and remuneration suiting the NGO sector.
Please note applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and candidates may be contacted for interview before the closing date