Salary Range: $92,227.00 To 119,895.00 Annually
Job Closes: 12/1/2023
Responsible for planning and conducting work in the evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of engineering principles and practices.
Safety is #1 at the River Authority: We expect every employee: to 1) Strictly follow safety policies, rules, and safe work methods. 2) Promptly correct or report safety hazards or unsafe conditions. Immediately report injuries for prompt diagnosis and treatment. 3) Make regular suggestions for safety process improvements to support continuous safety improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Performs engineering design and coordinates associated investigations and permitting for nature-based projects.
- Reviews engineering reports, plans, and specifications developed by others.
- Develops and reviews hydrologic and hydraulic models for compliance with professional and FEMA standards.
- Analyzes engineering data, develops effective solutions, and prepares technical reports.
- Develops and reviews spatial data related to water resources using GIS and CADD software.
- Performs field visits in support of modeling, design, construction oversight, and condition assessment.
- Manages assigned engineering projects to include budget preparation, utilization of resources, project management, reporting, and public relations coordination.
- Coordinates, communicates, and documents activities with other departments, project partners, manufacturers, surveyors, and regulatory agencies.
- Works with consultants and coordinates the work of consultants.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Performs related work as required.
- This position does not directly supervise any employees.
Required Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Civil, Environmental, or Agricultural Engineering or relevant discipline and three (3) or more years of progressively responsible engineering experience in all phases of engineering including modeling, drafting, surveying, design, construction, and appropriate continuing education.
- Graduate Degree with an emphasis in Civil, Environmental, or Agricultural Engineering, Hydrology, or Water Resources preferred.
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Texas
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and an insurable driving record.
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Engineering principles and practices as applied to modeling, planning, designing, construction, and maintenance of various projects
- The application of data processing as it applies to the development of engineering data; to modern supervisory principles and practices; and to the design and construction of materials, facilities, and equipment normally found in public works projects
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency in HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS and ArcGIS software is required.
- Design and visualization software
Skills and Abilities:
- Oral and written communication; to include technical writing and report preparation
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with a high level of accuracy in calculations and design
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Time management and organization
- Adapt to changing priorities and situations
- Must be able to function in a principle-based organization that has a culture built on character and SARA Core Values of Stewardship, Integrity, and Excellence.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work Environment and Physical Effort: (check the appropriate box:)
|Physical Effort Requirements|
|Good: Office or similar indoor environment, relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.|
|Satisfactory: Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Occasional outside work.|
|Disagreeable: Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk.|
Sedentary: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Medium: Exerting up to 35 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects.
Heavy: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS continued
Work Locations: (select one frequency choice for each location listed:)
|Work Environment Locations|
|Work Locations: Indicate how often the work requires the employee to be in the following types of environments:||Seldom or Never||Sometimes||Frequently or Often|
|Office or similar indoor environment||☐||☐||☒|
|Street environment (near moving traffic)||☐||☒||☐|
|Other: (Specify: )||☐||☐||☐|
Exposures: (select one frequency choice for each exposure listed:)
|Exposures: Indicate how often the work requires the employee to be exposed to the following environmental exposures.||Seldom or Never||Sometimes||Frequently or Often|
|Extreme cold (below 32 degrees)||☒||☐||☐|
|Extreme heat (above 100 degrees)||☐||☒||☐|
|Moving mechanical parts||☒||☐||☐|
|Fumes or airborne particles||☒||☐||☐|
|Poison ivy, wasps, snakes, and other natural hazards||☐||☒||☐|
|Toxic or caustic chemicals or substances||☒||☐||☐|
|Loud noises (85+ decibels such as heavy trucks, jack hammers, construction)||☐||☒||☐|
|Other: (Specify: )||☐||☐||☐|
San Antonio River Authority is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled and Veteran Employer. We welcome differences in the form of gender, race, ethnicity, disability, geography, socioeconomic status, age, politics, religion, philosophy, sexual orientation, or gender identity.