Department: Government of Yukon -> Executive Council Office – Yukon Water Board Administration
Location: Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6 CA (Primary)
Job Type: Permanent
End Date: Full/Part Time
Hours Bi-weekly: 75
Salary: $106,668.00 – $146,491.00
Days Off: Saturday/Sunday
Admissibility: Open to all Candidates, Preference – Canadian Indigenous Ancestry, Preference – Yukon First Nations ancestry
This competition is open to all candidates who meet the above noted Admissibility. A hiring preference will apply for qualified candidates of Canadian Indigenous ancestry, with a priority for qualified Yukon First Nation candidates. This initiative is in support of Yukon government’s goal for a representative public service. For more information on the hiring preference visit www.yukon.ca/hiring-preference.
Job Summary and Requirements
Who we are…
The Water Board Secretariat is a branch within Executive Council Officer providing professional, technical, and administrative support necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the Yukon Water Board. The Secretariat supports the Board which is an independent administrative tribunal in making informed licensing decisions which provide for the conservation, development, and utilization of waters in a manner that provides for optimum benefit for all Canadians and for the residents of Yukon in particular.
Join our dynamic team and help us strengthen relationships and good governance for the benefit of all Yukoners.
This is a role for a dynamic and highly motivated individual who enjoys the challenge of working in an environment which requires strong corporate leadership, balancing stakeholders with competing interests and leading staff in a fast-paced, dynamic workplace.
This is an opportunity for you to be an integral member of the Executive Council Office senior management team to plan and manage the human and financial resources of the Yukon Water Board Secretariat, to provide strategic recommendations to the Yukon Water Board, and to develop policies and administrative processes to support the activities and priorities of the Board.
The Director will fulfill a centralized and specialized function as the strategic linkage between the arm’s length administrative tribunal and Yukon Government (YG) senior management and departments.
The position is responsible to the Chair of the Board for ensuring that the Board is supported in meeting its regulatory obligations and is also responsible to the supervisor for delivering a program of activities that meets the goals and objectives of the government.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong leadership, problem solving and communications skills, and the ability to provide sound advice to the Board while ensuring procedural fairness is achieved in the processing of the various water use applications. Operating in an environment with multiple stakeholders, often with competing interests, you will be required to demonstrate strong negotiation and corporate leadership skills, strategic corporate direction, coordination, training, guidance and policy development in a fast-paced and productive environment.
What we can offer you…
Yukon government cares about their employees and strives to offer a variety of learning and developmental opportunities including in-house training. Funding may also be available to support further education. Flexible work and leave options may be available allowing you to balance your personal and professional needs. We also have a comprehensive and generous benefits plan, providing for the health and wellbeing of you and your family.
Learn more about what we offer. Discover why the Yukon government has been recognized as a Top 100 Employer in Canada since 2014. Uniquely Yukon – Discover what makes the Yukon unlike any other place in the world. Follow us on LinkedIn.
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please note selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
- Degree or graduate studies in Public Administration, Social or Resource Science or Business or related field
- Experience working with and interpreting various legislation (preferably Waters Act, Quartz and Placer Mining Acts and Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act);
- Experience identifying, analyzing and managing complex, politically sensitive and high profile issues;
- Experience bringing partner groups together to address critical issues;
- Experience in serving industry needs and expectations of First Nations and stakeholder groups while balancing and ensuring the accountabilities of a senior public servant;
- Experience leading a branch or work unit; including budgetary and human resource responsibilities; and
- Experience in strategic planning, policy development and performance management.
Candidates who have training and considerable experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above may be equally considered.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Tobest support the achievement of key strategic and business objectives, candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Ability to generate commitment by building internal and external relationships and having sound knowledge of the organization in order to reach strategic goals;
- Ability to take a comprehensive, long-term view by critically assessing options and implications, while linking decisions to strategic goals;
- Ability to focus, commit and apply resources to identify and achieve results;
- Ability to perform effectively under pressure; and
- Strong ability to use knowledge, experience and training to effectively problem solve complex situations
Conditions of Employment: valid Class 5 driver’s license
Job Requirements: Travel with Yukon
Relocation costs may be considered.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact Christine Cleghorn, Assistant Deputy Minister, Strategic Corporate Services at [email protected]
If you have questions about the recruitment process, please contact Lynn Williams, Human Resources at [email protected] or 867-471-0793
Eligibility List: 6 months
Post Date: 17 November 2023
Close Date: 30 November 2023
Job Description: Director Yukon Water Board Secretariat