Job Category: Land and Natural Resources
Requisition Number: NATUR014069
Want to experience a fun and immersive hands-on internship that allows you to obtain real life, on-the-job professional skills? Apply today for our SMSC and Mystic Lake 10-week summer internship program! Our internships focus on inspiring possibilities, fostering meaningful connections, and creating memorable experiences. Enjoy weekly pay and a summer full of fun and engaging opportunities.
Internship Overview: You’ll be working for one of Minnesota’s most historic communities, the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community. We focus on inspiring possibilities, fostering meaningful connections, and upholding our longstanding Dakota values while creating memorable experiences!
Throughout your summer you will participate in a variety of internship experiences from touring Hocokata Ti, our cultural center, to summer cookouts with your fellow interns, to a variety of networking events, there will be something to look forward to each week.
What else is in it for you? You’ll be working on meaningful projects with purpose that have an impact on our community. You will be mentored, coached, and developed by some of the best talent around, while gaining real on the job experience you can take with you anywhere you go!
Internship Program Dates: June 2024 – August 2024
Internship Location: Prior Lake, MN (in office)
You’ll be a perfect fit if: You are excited to study the quantity, distribution, circulation, and physical properties of underground and surface waters. You have experience with water quality sampling field methods and sample handling. You are a very hands-on person who is currently studying environmental sciences. You are detail orientated when it comes to recording and collecting data. You are a good steward to the earth and want to pass that on to everyone you meet. You are looking forward to a great experience gaining new skills in our Natural Resources!
This Intern will Participate in the Following:
- Assist with water quality and quantity sampling- equipment cleaning and field data collection.
- Assist with aquatic vegetation, AIS and macroinvertebrate surveys and identification.
- Inspecting stormwater BMPs (best management practices).
- Digitizing environmental data.
- Planning/participating/leading 3-4 water related youth education events.
- Various field work tasks related to ongoing projects or investigations.
- Depending on experience – opportunities to work with GIS, statistical data analysis, or sensor programming.
- Outdoor work includes exposure to all weather and environmental conditions.
Who We Are: The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community contributes to causes, organizations and tribes across the region, state and country. The SMSC has donated more than $350 million to organizations and causes, provided $500 million in economic development loans to other tribes, and contributed millions more to support regional governments and infrastructure. The SMSC’s Native Green initiative annually diverts hundreds of tons of waste from landfills, has implemented compostable containers throughout our properties and restored hundreds of acres of prairie land. Team members are eligible to participate in SMSC Gives, a community outreach initiative. Learn more at shakopeedakota.org.
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program pertinent to the department/team to which assigned.
- Basic level skills in word-processing, spreadsheets, or other tools standard to the department/team to which assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in a collaborative, team environment.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.