NIWA is a dynamic research organisation and New Zealand’s largest and pre-eminent provider of climate, freshwater and marine science. Our core purpose is to enhance the economic value and sustainable management of New Zealand’s aquatic resources and environments, to provide an understanding of climate and the atmosphere, and increase resilience to weather and climate hazards to improve safety and wellbeing of New Zealanders.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a self-motivated and conscientious laboratory technician to join the Water Quality Laboratory Team. The position primarily involves providing support to a wide range of commercial and research activities undertaken by the Water Quality group at NIWA. The group supports a diverse range of environmentally focused research and consultancy projects. The position reports to the Group Manager of the Water Quality Group and while most of the work will be focused in this general area there is an expectation that at times there will also be work in other laboratories, groups, and disciplines when core commitments permit. Work hours are flexible and occasional weekend work may be required. The key tasks will include:
- Analysis of marine and freshwater samples using a variety of instrumentation (pH meter, turbidimeter, conductivity meter, Flow Injection analyser, Segmented flow analyser, Total Organic Carbon analyser, and CHN analyser).
- Data checking and entry to the database.
- Using and maintaining laboratory analysers/equipment.
- General laboratory duties.
- Calibration and maintenance of field instruments may be required (e.g., datasondes).
What you will bring:
- You will have a NZ Diploma in Applied Science, BSc or equivalent in Chemistry, with 1-2 years’ experience in a laboratory analyst role preferred but not essential.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory techniques including pipetting, reagent preparation, filtration, and pH measurements.
- Experience with laboratory sample handling/preparation.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, being pro-active, flexible, and keen to lend a hand where required.
We don’t expect perfection in our candidates – if you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every point referenced in the position description, please still get in touch!
NIWA offers flexible working options (e.g., part-time, flexible start and finish times). We are happy to discuss potential flexible options for this position at the interview stage.
NIWA promotes the importance and value of an inclusive and diverse workforce, including the Rainbow Community, and pride ourselves on being a family-friendly and supportive workplace.
|Crown research institute||NIWA|
|Posted on||18 Sep 2023|
|Closes on||08 Oct 2023 23:55|
|Expertise||Chemistry, Marine & Freshwater Science, Laboratory & Technical Services|
|More details (document)||Water Quality Technician PD – September 2023.pdf|