JOB TITLE: WASH Officer
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Health, Nutrition and WaSH LOCATION: TBD
GRADE: 4A CONTRACT LENGTH: TBD
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The WASH officer is responsible to facilitate and ensuring timely delivery of WASH activities in collaboration with project staffs, WASH coordinators and project operation standard procedure (SOP). The post holder is responsible to implement WASH activities at the response words as well as liaising with local government, field office team, Zonal /Woreda WASH cluster forums.
The WASH officer is also responsible to ensuring the WASH humanitarian needs and gaps are properly assessed in full consultation with WASH coordinators and field office managers at SCI WASH interventions such as ,COVID 19 preparedness, preventions and controlling WASH actions such as water trucking operation, WASH non-food item (NFI) distribution, water treatment chemicals, rehabilitate/maintenance, leading the preparation of WASH integrated response plans and provide technical support on Hygiene and Sanitation promotion activity, Cholera/AWD prevention and preparedness actions, preparing water trucking, installation and Cash and NFI distribution modalities according to the project objective and in line with cluster standards
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Plan and/or Facilitate integrated/joint institutional and community WASH resource and capacity assessment including feasibility study
- Monitor and supervise day to day activities of Hygiene and sanitation promotion, construction and rehabilitation/maintenance and water trucking works and take corrective measures if an
- Participate Project level WASH activity plan and review
- In collaboration with Cash, Health and other staffs will lead WASH NFI distribution planning, targeting distribution and monitoring of the activity
- Actively participate on WaSH scheme designing, BOQ development and appraisal process
- Strongly engage with sector offices and local administration on the course of rolling out planned WaSH construction project
- Participate and provide technical support to conduct training for water committee, caretakers, and operators, H&S promotion where appropriate. Initiate construction procurement process like tender/BID document preparation, supplier vetting, invitation to tender, eligibility screening, competent bid analysis, negotiation and construction contract Award process!
- Proactively work with local partners for timely site handover and contraction work commencement
- Implement save the children construction monitoring, risk assessment and construction quality benchmark tools and standards.
- Produce various WaSH activity and construction monitoring reports and hygiene and sanitation promotion progress report
- Facilitate timely preparation of take-off sheet and payment certificate with support of
- Coordinate pre handover joint quality tests/quality assurance intervention with regional and technical specialists
- Lead smooth hand over process for completed WaSH construction facilities, NFI distribution and post distribution monitoring
- Facilitate promotion of hygiene and sanitation information and practices across target communities.
- Facilitate coordination of WaSH sector intervention across programs and projects under the field office
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- BSc degree in Hydraulics, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Health, Construction Management or Environmental Health related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 2 years related work experience in the area of emergency WASH out of which at least 1 year in humanitarian response
- Experience in working with in hygiene and sanitation promotions. This includes technical support, capacity building and coordination.
- Excellent understanding of Emergency WASH issues in Ethiopia/Region at both field and policy levels.
- Experience in implementing Emergency WASH project.
- Good presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to train and mentor staff
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Good spoken and written English,
- Good computer and report writing skill
- Experience working in NGOs on emergency WASH is an added advantage
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures;
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.