***This position can be based in any of the following locations in Missouri, Joplin, St. Louis, Jefferson City, Parkville, St Joseph***
Provide leadership of the Asset Planning function, including as well as supervision to Engineering staff responsible for strategic long-term water and wastewater system planning; recommending projects or approaches to address needs related to source of supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission of water as well as collection, equalization, and treatment of wastewater.
Manage and coordinate several Engineering, Planning, Design, and Construction projects and activities related to Water Resources Systems and/or American Water building facilities
- Develop, communicate, and execute a common vision and strategy for Asset Planning across the state, in coordination and compliance with the overall American Water vision and strategy. Ensures Engineering compliance with established Company policies and practice, regulatory criteria, specifications, and standards.
- Supervises a functional Engineering staff within the limits of assigned Engineering projects and programs. Guides and serves as technical advisor to lower-level Engineers and other personnel requiring technical direction. Develops a sound organization staffed with able and motivated employees and provides for or trains suitable replacement.
- Manages and supervises other technical/operations, related projects (i.e., unaccounted for water, equipment maintenance, etc.) Ensures that policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and approved objectives are adhered to and/or achieved.
- Schedules and monitors performance, adherence to standards and adherence to the Company’s business plan as it relates to the responsible projects and programs. Assists in developing, implementing and monitoring conformance with comprehensive and strategic investment plans. Plans and monitors budgets and schedules for Engineering Projects and programs, and overseas the maintenance of technical and engineering records including work in progress.
- Manage several assigned Engineering Projects and programs of varying scope including coordination of Consultants and Contractors and the direct supervision of Company Engineering professional and support personnel during planning, design, and/or construction activities. Recommends selection of Engineering and/or construction firms for consideration to perform projects.
- Ability to serve as a competent technical resource on Water and Wastewater System Planning matters including capital planning, source water safe yield analysis, demand/inflow projections, treatment adequacy, transmission and distribution adequacy, collection adequacy, inflow and infiltration, computerized hydraulic modeling and analysis, water conservation, regionalization, and other pertinent subjects as needed to support operational and business needs.
- Interacts with governmental agencies and manages and supervises programs to obtain permits, certifications, and approvals for assigned projects and programs.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering theory related to planning, design and operations concepts for water resource management facilities, Engineering and utility economics and knowledge of contract administration and construction technology related to water facilities.
- Good working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality and water treatment and other related
- Water resource management disciplines.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations. Knowledge of Company operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of employee relations, applicable safety and environmental regulations, federal and state water quality and design regulations and technical standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Advanced degree desired
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in water utility or related field.
Certifications & Licenses:
- Professional Engineer (PE) strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license required