Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Project shall support the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure (MCTI) to strengthen administrative capacity and at the same time support the MCTI in their work with other relevant state institutions and state-owned companies to plan for and deliver construction and infrastructure investment projects of strategic importance by further enhancing MCTI`s policy planning, project development and other relevant capacities.
The Project will address increasing capacities of MCTI to deliver large strategic investment projects in construction, transport and infrastructure areas that are managed in well-coordinated, transparent, efficient and quality manner. In order to assist Ministry to efficiently use the available funds, implement properly and effectively all necessary reforms, continue fulfilling successfully the requirements of the EU accession process, there is a need to establish the Project Implementation Unit (PIU).
In order to successfully contribute to the overall Project objective, Engineering Associate will be engaged.
This position will ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the Project activities and achievement of Project results.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, the Engineering Associate has the responsibility to support infrastructure activities related to the design, supervision and quality assurance. The Engineering Associate should provide technical expertise and support assuring that the projects produce the results specified in the Project Documents for the infrastructure components, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
Specific responsibilities will include assistance in the implementation of activities with the aim of achieving the following project results:
- Assisting in production of infrastructure project design documentation such as pre-feasibility and feasibility study, preliminary design, main design, revision of design documentation especially for sewage network and wastewater treatment plants, hydro power plants, etc.
- Assisting in supervision of project design development process, coordination and supervision of construction works especially for sewage network and wastewater treatment plants, hydro power plants, etc.
- Suggest and advise on how to resolve problems and/or conflicts between Financier, Investor and foreign Contractor and recommend corrections in terms of design, materials or the quality of work and managing these corrections upon the approval..
- Support during the on-site monitoring of quality and quantities of works, costs, schedule, safety and environment issues, in full compliance with the applicable laws, bylaws, regulations, technical standards and legal requirements in the Republic of Serbia.
- Support to project management of civil works with adherent installations aimed at energy efficiency improvements, and related environmental management issues.
- Reporting on on-site monitoring.
- Provide early warning to the Project Manager and Project Coordinator of potential problems and/or critical issues regarding the infrastructure improvement and execution of the works.
- Collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation of project annual work plans and progress reports.
- Providing inputs for creation of project monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Ensuring full compliance of activities with established project management rules, regulations, and policies.
- Drafting correspondence on project engineering issues, as required.
- Liaising with contractors, municipalities and other partners on project matters
|LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
|LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
|LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
|Adapt with Agility:
|LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
|Act with Determination:
|LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
|Engage and Partner:
|LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
|LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
|Business Direction and Strategy
|Effective Decision Making
|Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
|Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
|Digital & Innovation
|Ability to apply new digital tools or adapting their original use to create new insights, fresh perspectives or develop solutions. Understand the potential as well as the limitations of certain technological developments; being able to identify how technology can add value when it’s used as a “”means to an end””.
|Digital & Innovation
|Systems thinking & transformation
|Understand that complex problems need a non-reductionistic, holistic approach. Ability to explore challenges from multiple perspectives by zooming in and out, with a focus on relationships and flows rather than individual elements; understand how certain dynamics and conditions are driving and influencing an issue.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education.
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering – Water Supply and Sewerage Engineering (Hydraulic Engineering) or a related field will be given due consideration.
At least 6 years of relevant experience in construction-related project management, in particular in the fields of:
- Construction Engineering – including structural designs engineering
- Water Supply and Sewerage Engineering
- Low Rise Civil Engineering works – including traffic infrastructure works
Alternatively, if in possession of Bachelor’s degree, 3 years of relevant working experience would be required.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and internet
- Ability to work under very tight deadlines.
- Evidence of ability to express ideas clearly; to work independently and in team
- Ability to summarize and systematize complex information
- Ability to deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude Excellent negotiating and leadership skills
- Responsible, communicative, well-organized, team-oriented person
- Ability to demonstrate a sense of self-assuredness.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Possession of the following license would be considered an asset: 313/413, 314/414, 310/410.
- Previous experience in working on WWTP construction/reconstruction projects, sewage networks, hydro power plants, or similar.
- Certified user of AutoCAD.
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of BIM would be an advantage.
- Work experience in international organization and/or government institution would be an asset.
- Knowledge of national legislation
- Excellent knowledge of Law on Planning and Construction requirements
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
The online application form must be fully completed. Applicants are required to carefully complete their online application form and reflect all of their work experience history in the application.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.