Result of Service
- Deliverable 1: Deliver the training manual and present main methodology in a regional workshop on the estimation of crop water consumption from groundwater using remote sensing techniques.
- Deliverable 2: Deliver two national trainings on using remote sensing techniques to derive maps of irrigated crops and their groundwater consumption.
- Deliverable 3: Follow up with national teams to report on their case study application of estimating groundwater consumption of crops by use of remote sensing techniques.
Duties and Responsibilities
This consultancy is intended to support ESCWA and its member states make significant use of remote sensing to support monitoring and evaluation efforts related to groundwater resources management including the use of these tools for the detection of crop water consumption from groundwater.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary objective of this consultancy is to support ESCWA and its member states in applying remote sensing techniques to estimate crop water requirement and groundwater use for irrigation especially in areas where in-situ measurements are lacking.
- Prepare a training manual on the use of remote sensing techniques to derive maps of irrigated crops and their related groundwater consumption.
- Present the techniques to estimate crop water consumption from groundwater during a regional workshop.
- Assist two national teams in applying remote sensing techniques to derive maps of irrigated crops and their water consumption from groundwater and complete a case study on selected pilot area.
A master’s degree in Earth observation and geo-information science or any other related area is required. A Ph.D. is desirable.
All candidates must submit a copy of the required educational degree. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
A minimum of ten years of professional work experience in the areas of earth observation and geo-information science is required.
A minimum of 5 years of experience working in the area of agriculture and water resources management or related area is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat; and Arabic is a working language of ESCWA.
For this position, fluency in English and Arabic is required.
Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.