|Job Title||Project Administrator (Water Partnership Office)|
|Job Type Classification||Contract|
|Location – Town / City||Midrand|
|Location – Province||Gauteng|
|Location – Country||South Africa|
|Job Profile (Downloadable)||WPO Project Administrator.pdf (329.49 kb) – 19/09/2023 15:14:03|
|Job Description||The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) is mandated by the National Water Act, 1998 and Water Services Act|
1997 to be responsible for national water resource infrastructure and supporting municipalities with the provision of water
services. To support the implementation of the National Water & Sanitation Masterplan, DWS has designed and
implemented the National Water Partnerships Programme (NWPP) comprising of several sub-programmes within the
water sector that will address specific challenges facing the sector.
The DWS has signed a Memorandum of Agreement with the South African Local Government (SALGA) and the
Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) to jointly implement the programme. To give effect to the NWPP, the
parties have established the Water Partnerships Office (WPO) which includes the following:
The development of a standardised programme for the preparation, funding and implementation of projects within
the water sector
Providing support to municipalities and water boards to prepare, fund and implement projects according to a
The development of innovative and blended finance funding solutions, that will unlock and enable private sector
investment in the water sector
Facilitating partnerships with the private sector and other key stakeholders
The Project Administrator will provide end-to-end project administrative support, consolidate reports and maintain the
records management system for the department.
|Key Responsibilities||1. Project Administration|
• Provide administrative and project administration support to the WPO and the various Units/Teams within the
o Manage day-to-day administrative activities
o Manage diaries and arrange meetings
o Take minutes, distribute for inputs and follow-up on actions required
• Perform secretariat functions for the various committees, programmes and meetings that are part of the WPO
structures ensuring compliance with governance prescripts.
• Administer the master schedule to support the Programme Leads and Units/Teams with the development and
implementation of the project schedule and management plan.
• Support the WPO and Unit/Teams’ efforts in the development of the project plan and translate the plan into a
workable project schedule.
• Analyse the project schedule for time impacts, delay analysis as well as forecasting (trend analysis, including
schedule reserve) and provide early warnings on anticipated changes to the schedule.
• Identify milestones and the critical path (including multiple / near critical paths).
• Provide administrative support for procurement and contract management, submission and processing of
invoices and claims.
• Liaise with internal and external stakeholders (SCM, Legal, Finance, ICT, etc.) on administrative requirements.
• Collate and edit various presentations and reports on project / programme performance updates for the various
Steering Committees, DBSA, etc.
• Implement systems to track performance throughout the life cycle of projects and the programme and take
responsibility for system’s (SAP) information accuracy, updates and quality management.
• Participate actively in projects deliverables using specific systems and programmes ensuring that tracking
occurs throughout the implementation phase.
2. Project Reporting and Records Management
• Monitor, analyse and report on schedule performance across programmes and projects.
• Consolidate reports on the performance of programmes against targets and highlighting risks or concern (i.e.,
non-performing service providers, process of system failures, non-compliance).
• Consolidate monthly programme cost reports, including project variances of actuals vs. budgets and update
• Collate reports, including accounting information, summarising and forecasting project activities and financial
performance in (i.e. disbursements and projections, income and expenditure) current and expected operations
for portfolio projects and programmes.
• Maintain the record and retrieval systems, including the programme and project document repository, a paper
and e-filing system.
• Coordinate service providers’ database administration to ensure central repository of information on sector
specific service providers.
3. Team Administration
• Maintain and manage the diary of the Head, Leads and Specialists.
• Responsible for document flow in and out of the Head and Programme Leads’ offices.
• Develop and maintain advanced record keeping (manual / electronic) and filling systems for the WPO.
• Performs high level administrative and secretarial duties including typing, editing of reports and preparing
• Compilation of confidential correspondence and general documentation on behalf of the Head and Programme
• Undertakes all administrative duties (i.e., filing, drafting of agendas, minute taking, follow-up on action items,
• Responsible for arranging of local and international travelling arrangements and the processing of claims.
• Accountable for arranging various events for the WPO (strategy sessions, functions, etc.)
• Undertake procurement administration on behalf of the WPO.
• Assist in the coordination/preparation and alignment of performance scorecard/s, track and monitor
• Coordinate the preparation of the WPO budgets and monitors spend thereof together with the Head.
• Participate in meetings and interactions in order to ensure the recording of decisions and follow-up.
• Coordinate Unit and follow-up on action items.
• Coordinate Risk Management requests and follow-up on action items.
• Coordinate and assist in the preparation of reports and submissions to Project Committees, Steering
Committees, Business Review, Management Committees, Ad hoc Resolutions from specific committees
Key measurements of outputs
1. Successful project administration of agreed projects, programmes and assignments
2. Management of diaries and schedules
3. Management of office administration (budget, procurement, presentations, etc.)
4. Accuracy and quality of minutes. Effective follow-up of action lists
5. Effective record keeping
6. Quality of documents, presentations and reports
7. Effective record keeping management and retrieval systems
8. Generating and quality assuring information, report and documents
9. Providing project related management information
|Expertise & Technical Competencies||Minimum Requirements|
1. A Diploma in project management or administration or related qualification
2. A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a similar function
3. Considerable knowledge of standard administration practices and procedures is a necessity for this position
4. Excellent knowledge of protocol and etiquette.
5. Demonstrated experience in working in a multi-disciplinary team.
6. An understanding of organizational processes and group dynamics.
7. Experience in supply chain management processes (preparing project tender documents, etc.)
8. Demonstrated knowledge and use of project methodology such as PMBOK, Prince or similar
9. Demonstrable ability to use of the Microsoft Office (MS Projects, Excel, PowerPoint, Word & MS Outlook)
10. Proven track record of preparing project/programme progress reports and presentations for various stakeholders
(Programme Managers, Steering Committees, Exco and Board)
11. Demonstrated experience in preparing meeting documentation (agendas, taking minutes, etc.)
a) Project Management
• Demonstrates a practical knowledge of project management principles and techniques.
• Plans, defines, and manages projects within a department or area.
• Identifies resources required and their appropriate role and skills.
• Assists in the management of projects where the objectives, milestones and time scales have been defined.
b) Solutions Focused
• Identifies standard problems based on a range of factors, most of which are clear.
• Identifies alternate solutions, considering applicable precedents.
• Identifies optimal solutions based on weighing the advantages and disadvantages of alternative approaches.
• After implementation, evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of solutions.
c) Planning and Organising
• Uses time management procedures effectively.
• Can exercise independent judgement regarding all planning and organising issues.
• Uses specialised software to plan and manage own time.
• Plans and manages multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Uses effectively advance time management processes to deal with high workload and tight deadlines.
• Organises, prioritises and schedules tasks so they can be performed within budget and with the efficient use of
time and resources.
• Achieves goals in a timely manner, despite obstacles encountered, by organising, reprioritising and re-planning
d) Detailed Oriented
• Quickly identifies relevant and irrelevant information to support accurate decision making.
• Maps out all the logistics and details of a situation to ensure smooth and flawless implementation.
• Consistently identifies all relevant details that are not obvious in complex situations.
• Requires the highest standards for accuracy and quality for their work.
• Establishes processes to ensure accuracy and quality of services delivered by the team.
e) Reporting & Communication
• Prepares both standard and non-standard reports to time and quality standards.
• Collate and analyses readily available data for inclusion in a report.
• Designs / customizes reports to meet user needs.
• Prepares complex or tailored reports, gathers information from a variety of sources, analyses and includes in a
• Keeps standard reports under review and proposes improvements to meet user needs.
f) Presentation Skills
• Can reinforce key presentation points with examples.
• Is able to translate technical terminology into language understandable to the audience.
• Has insight into the audience’s behavior and motivation and responds appropriately and professionally, adapting
communication style as appropriate.
• Has knowledge of various feedback mechanisms to check levels of audience understanding.
g) Computer Skills
• Consistently uses relevant office software products such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Projects, Excel, PowerPoint
presentations and email packages to an acceptable standard for the job.
• Has the ability to use standard and/or programme-specific the organisation databases, and merge / import data
from one program to another.
• Adapts method of working to accommodate changes in the technological developments.
|Required Personal Attributes||BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES|
a) Customer Service Orientation
• Tries to understand the underlying needs of customers and matches these needs to available or customized
products and services.
• Adapts processes and procedures to meet on-going customer needs.
• Utilises the feedback received by customers, in order to develop new and/or improve existing services/ products
that relate to their on-going needs.
• Thinks of new ways to align offerings with future customer needs.
b) Self-Awareness and Self Control
• Withholds effects of strong emotions in difficult situations.
• Keeps functioning or responds constructively despite stress.
• May apply special techniques or plan of time to manage emotions or stress.
c) Strategic and Innovative Thinking
• Experiments with new approaches, tests scenarios, questions assumptions and challenges conventional thinking.
• Creates new concepts that are not obvious to others, leveraging internal and external sources of information, to
build incremental revenue and growth opportunities.
d) Driving Delivery of Results
• Sets challenging goals that will have a significant impact on the business or support the organisational strategy.
• Commits significant resources and/or time to ensure that challenging goals are achieved, while also taking action
to mitigate risk.
e) Teamwork and Cooperation
• Acts to promote a friendly climate and good morale and resolves conflicts.
• Creates opportunities for cross-functional working.
• Encourages others to network outside of their own team/department and learn from their experience.
Local recruitment: Project Administrator (Water Partnership Office)
Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA)
Midrand, South Africa 🇿🇦