Climate Adaptation Consultant
The IDB INVEST, a member of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Group, is a multilateral organization based in Washington, D.C., that is committed to the development of Latin America and the Caribbean through the private sector.
About this position:
The Strategy and Development’s (DSP), with its division, the Advisory Services Division (ADV) is responsible for leading IDB Invest efforts to create, implement and sustain its strategic vision and achieve development impact and additionality. DSP delivers on Development Effectiveness, Strategic Planning and Knowledge, Social Environmental and Governance, Advisory Services, and Corporate Affairs.
What you’ll do:
The primary objective of this consultancy is to assist the ADV team to bring state of the art knowledge in climate adaptation to build the business models or identify climate adaptation investments by providing technical expertise in the Infrastructure Sector.
The Consultant will lead Advisory Services projects in the Infrastructure sector, including:
· Water infrastructure such as desalination and water treatment plans, water distribution, sewage and waste, water utilities.
- Support the development of tools, knowledge products and outreach activities, such as conferences and others, that help adopt and mainstream climate action.
- Lead and/or support drafting and submission of fund-raising proposals for adaptation.
- Provide support to further advance the adaptation agenda at IDB Invest.
Beyond the delivery of technical advice, perform as a leader for the delivery of specialized Advisory Services. The consultant will be resourceful providing a valuable pool of third consultants in the fields of resilient infrastructure and requesting proposal of services, executing ideas into reality by thinking out-of-the box and delivering.
The consultant shall:
· rapid design Terms of Reference and activities to be deployed with IDB Invest’s clients and external experts, contract activities and process payments,
· monitor external specialized services ensuring the delivery of the contracted products,
· Transport infrastructure such as toll roads, ports, airports, mass urban transportation and electromobility.
· Energy infrastructure.
· Telecom infrastructure and infrastructure services such as passengers and logistics ride hailing services.
· Social infrastructure such as green building in schools and hospital facilities.
In these sectors, the consultant will:
· Support the design, development, and execution of IDB Invest advisory service operations utilizing climate funding, focusing adaptation.
· Provide intellectual leadership in tendencies and innovation within priority areas such as climate vulnerability analysis, adaptation measures for infrastructure sectors, nature-based solutions, and adaptation finance.
- Provide suggestions to improve project design by increasing resilience to climate change and incorporating climate finance.
· close external consultancies by documenting results, producing lessons learned and communication materials such as publications for public fora.
· interacting with other practitioners of resilient infrastructure in Multilateral Banks, Academia, Associations of Engineering, NGOS, entrepreneurs and others.
Finally, the Consultant will manage a portfolio of Advisory Services Funds (or technical assistance funds within a Fund), including performing the following activities:
· Support IDB Invest process to approve and mobilize new Advisory Services Funds resources.
· Validate investments match with Funds’ eligibility criteria and provide advice to improve project design and alignment with Funds objectives.
· Track the Funds’ portfolio of projects, monitoring its impact and documenting results for its yearly reporting.
· Oversee preparation of lessons learned related to Advisory Services within and outside the IDBG, including technical input for the design of project level communication products.
· Disseminate information to project teams on transaction strengths, weaknesses, risks and risk mitigation options.
What you’ll need:
· Education: Master degree in environmental or biological sciences, , international development, natural resources economics, economics, environmental engineering, natural resources management, urban planning, or related fields
· Experience: At least 5+ years of relevant professional experience in private finance, climate technologies and adaptation, with experience working with private sector actors and development organizations. Understanding Latin America and the Caribbean shall be highly valued. Experience in advisory services and climate finance with private sector actors is essential. Track record in either one or both private sector firms and in development focused institutions will be highly valued. An understanding of the operational work of multilateral institutions as well as an understanding of the operational frameworks of multilateral institutions will be a plus.
· Language: Oral and written native-like proficiency in English and Spanish, additional knowledge of Portuguese is a plus.
· Citizenship: If you are not a citizen of United States of America we may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
· Type of contract: Consultant full time.
· Length of contract: 12 months, with the option of renewal for additional 24 months
· Location: IDB Headquarters, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
· A competitive compensation package.
· A flexible way of working. You will be evaluated by deliverable.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
About IDB Invest
IDB Invest, a member of the IDB Group, is a multilateral development bank committed to promoting the economic development of its member countries in Latin America and the Caribbean through the private sector. IDB Invest finances sustainable companies and projects to achieve financial results and maximize economic, social, and environmental development in the region. With a portfolio of $14.1 billion in asset management and 325 clients in 25 countries, IDB Invest provides innovative financial solutions and advisory services that meet the needs of its clients in a variety of industries.
- External Opening Date: Sep 18, 2023
- External Closing Date: Oct 2, 2023
- Job Field: Technical Support