Job Title : WASH & Infrastructure Officer
Duty Station: Aljazeera State
DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, and humanitarian mine action. DRC has implemented projects in Central Darfur, South Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, Kassala, and Khartoum states. Sudan hosts one of the largest displaced populations in Africa, with over 3.7 million internally displaced people and over 1.1 million refugees from South Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen and Syria. Against a background of political crisis, Sudan faces economic and social turmoil, with sharp increases in food and energy costs, further exacerbated by disease outbreaks and ongoing conflict.
About the job
The overall purpose of the role
To provide professional, technical quality control and supervision during implementation of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and other Infrastructure projects for DRC in Al Jazeera. Under the supervision of the Area Manager and in consultation with the Infrastructure Coordinator, the Officer supervises the routine a daily administration/support to the WASH team across various elements of WASH infrastructure, Water quality and Hygiene Promotion; in Al Jazeera, principally IDPS and host communities.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
To achieve the overall and specific position’s objectives the job holder tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In consultation with the Infrastructure Coordinator, conduct community assessments to identify critical requirements for the WASH project interventions with a particular attention on IDPs, host communities, women, and vulnerable populations with focus on water quality improvement/monitoring, WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation, household and community sanitation, hygiene promotion, and community mobilization / sensitization.
- Following WASH assessment results, come up with the relevant design, Bill of Quantities (BoQ) with emphasis on response to perceived needs indicated by communities and beneficiaries and with sensitivity to the political and cultural context for the approval by the Infrastructure Coordinator and the Area Manager.
- Come up with the draft detailed implementation plan for WASH activities for the review and approval of the Area Manager and updating it regularly.
- Assist in the raising up of Purchase Requests (PRs), follow up on the procurement process by the Supply Chain department, smooth transport, delivery and oversight of materials distributions to different sites/locations.
- Integration within team and with all sectors (water, sanitation, hygiene promotion, protection) to produce maximum benefit and impact
- Participate in community Focus Group Discussions (FGDs) pertaining to the project in partnership and/or consultation with MEAL and Protection teams.
- Daily update and supervision of data-gathering and tracking tools used to monitor the project.
- Assist in the generation of WASH and Infrastructure monthly cash forecast, reviewing of all cash for work documentations before approval by the Area Programme Manager/Area Manager, design, administer and monitoring/supervision of payment to workers.
- Daily supervision of the WASH & Infrastructure assistant and Hygiene Promotion Assistants and Community Hygiene Promoters. In this case, support preparation and conducting of hygiene promotion training sessions.
- Support and monitor the preparation and conducting of water chlorination and water testing by the WASH assistants.
- Oversee the registration, verification and training of project participants.
- Strong adherence to safety and security protocols at all times, and along with Code of Conduct – dedication to reporting suspected contraventions;
- Ensure DRC Code of Conduct is understood, acknowledged in writing, and followed by the project staff and all volunteer labor, and infractions are reported in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Provide regular written and verbal weekly/monthly reports to the supervisor/Infrastructure Coordinator on the WASH and infrastructure activities. With the help of the WASH team, develop and maintain weekly, monthly plans and written comprehensive records of WASH/infrastructure works undertaken in the project including site visits and reporting of work progress
- To this end, ensure that both the hard and soft copies of all activity reports are archived on the server and/or uploaded onto online platforms for information management as relevant.
- Ensure that all information or data shared is done so in a manner that upholds the principle of data protection and confidentiality.
Representation and coordination
- Ensure the development of positive relationships with beneficiaries, local communities, local authorities, humanitarian partners, service providers etc. in order to maintain trust in DRC’s professional standard and quality of work among all stakeholders.
- Ensure that all interactions with individual beneficiaries take place in an environment and in a way that respect and promotes their safety, trust and dignity. Ensure that all interactions with other stakeholders such as community members and service providers are conducted in accordance to the principles of respect, confidentiality and collaboration.
- Attend Sector Meeting/Coordination meetings when delegated.
Ensure the effective implementation of support activities related to the effective implementation of the program, including in terms of logistics, administration, human resources, finance and security. In all matters, comply with internal directive and policies as communicated by the Area Manager and Infrastructure Technical Coordinator.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least graduated 12th, university degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Environmental engineering.
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience within a humanitarian organization in WASH, Shelter infrastructure, engineering or Public Health.
- Good knowledge of the area
- Good experience of working directly with Sudanese and Refugee communities and local authorities
- Good communications skills; experience with dealing with Communities; good written and spoken English and Arabic
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and basic report writing ability
Demonstrated interest in humanitarian work and supporting people effected by conflict and displacement
Education background: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- At least high school degree, university degree is preferred (technical/scientific faculties)
Sound knowledge of engineering designs and software ( ArchiCAD, AutoCAD, GIS , EPANETetc)
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluent in English (both oral and written)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Level: Non- manager
Salary range: 1026- 1156 USD
Location: Aljazeera State
Expected Start date: As soon as possible
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
Applications Closing Date: 30/9/2023
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org