With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 33,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
- Prepare/develop quality design package (drawings, BoQs and technical specifications) for the construction and rehabilitation of water supply networks (gravity fed and solar powered systems where appropriate) and sanitation facilities.
- In close collaboration with the Provincial RRD ensure the details of the BoQs and drawings are finalized and stamped.
- Together with village Shura conduct community consultation meetings in each target community to verify the locations for water infrastructure improvements and households for rehabilitation/construction of sanitation facilities. Women Shura will conduct separate meetings with women in the village to ensure that the selection of site fits women’s needs and can be easily and safely accessed by women. The final decision on selection should include women’s feedback and women Shura agreement.
- Follow up pre-, during and post-construction water quality testing for each water source identified for construction (WV WASH guideline is to have 3 water quality checks).
- Final community selection subject to passing pre-construction water quality test for key parameters.
- Create the construction work plans and schedule for each location and type of intervention.
- Ensure all facilities rehabilitated/constructed are gender and disability inclusive (safe, provide for privacy, easily accessible and usable for both women and men, children and persons with disability).
Quality Control and supervision
- Conduct training on water system and sanitation facility maintenance for members of water management groups from the targeted locations. 2 members of each group will receive training on maintenance.
- Develop the tendering documents (TOR for Construction Company) and ensure that other requirements and guidelines by Supply Chain department are adhered to.
- Prepare precise implementation plans for construction works.
- Ensure all required resources for every single construction project at community level are well estimated and planned for procurement.
- Ensure quality control within construction/rehabilitation work by providing necessary on the job training for skilled labour.
- Develop all necessary monitoring and supervision tools used for construction & rehabilitation projects.
- Ensure quality implementation of construction works with respect of specifications and timeline of implementation.
- Check the quality of the materials provided by the construction company and make sure all materials are new and free of defects and in good condition and the final product, materials and construction meet the minimum standards as described in the subcontract documents and technical specifications.
- Ensure that water, sanitation and hygiene program is fully and timely implemented in accordance with community needs and standards in the project-targeted areas.
Reporting planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Review and confirm the payment claims made by the construction company and assess the work executed for the release of contractor’s payment
- Other necessary inputs concerning construction activities.
- Coordinate joint monitoring visits with DRRD.
- Providing good quality monthly progress reports of the construction works.
- Prepare & process completion report by end of each infrastructure completion.
- Prepare & process infrastructure hand over documents with community and line governmental departments in Faryab and Badghis provinces.
- Prepare on time monthly, quarterly, semi-annual & annual report to the relevant governmental departments in Badghis & Faryab.
- Ensure that separate databases are developed to capture all quantitative details for each project and are up-to-date.
- Monitor and provide inputs in procuring construction materials.
- Proper documentation of project technical documents such as drawings, BoQs, Specifications, completion report, hand over forms etc.
- Ensure safety of materials and equipment during construction work.
- Liaise with Project Manager & other relevant technical staff on progress of construction/rehabilitation works.
- Monitor/supervise construction work in the field and ensure they meet the project objectives in terms of quality of work and within the agreed timelines.
- Work with M&E to regularly track and report on progress towards WV water, sanitation and hygiene targets.
Capacity building of community structures
- Ensure establishment of water management committee (WMC) per each village for project sustainability and proper operation & maintenance of infrastructure ensuring that women’s representation is considered.
- Ensure that WMC get enough on-site practical training during construction phases of work in order to get technical orientation of all constructed parts.
- Adhere to WV Child and Adult Safeguarding policy and standards.
- Adhere to WV accountability standards.
- To be aware and prepared to implement WV Afghanistan Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs plan under the context of (AHF) interventions.
Required Professional Experience
At least 3 years of experience as WASH Engineer/WASH Officer. Experience in construction of water supply network in hard to reach areas. Fully knowledge of water supply networks component.
Bachelor degree in Water Engineering/Civil Engineering Knowledge of MS Office, AutoCAD, Water gems; QGIS; ARCGIS, and other related construction design programs. Fully knowledge and experience of water gems software for designing the projects.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to travel to all districts of Faryab,Badghis and Herat (where applicable).
- Strong monitoring skills.
- Communication skills and knowledge of local communities.
- Familiarity with context of Faryab, Badghis and provinces (where applicable)
- Good report writing skills.
- Ability to engage with different stakeholders and partners in the project site.
- Interpersonal, management and conflict resolution skills.
Accessibility to the below mentioned areas/locations is required (please specify): Badghis, Faryab and Herat. (Please indicate districts per province if necessary)
To be able to travel to remote districts and areas of Badghis,Faryab and Herat provinces.
Fluency in English, Dari and/or Pashto, both written and spoken
Applicant Types Accepted: Local Applicants Only