EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,500 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 17,000 people, including over 12,500 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Postdoc position to establish a water quality monitoring system
Your mission :
To establish a water quality monitoring system at the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory (EML), School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering (ENAC), at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) in Lausanne, Switzerland. The focus at EML is on microbiology with numerous projects dedicated to geomicrobiology – the study of the role of microbes in geochemical processes – and a growing number of projects focused on gut microbiology.
The project is part of large interdisciplinary effort aiming at establishing an urban digital twin. This project aims to investigate whether measures to increase infiltration positively impact water quality
Main duties and responsibilities include :
– Design and purchase the monitoring system
– Deploy the system and maintain it
– Collect and process the data
– Set-up a data portal
– Coordinate with partners in the projects
– Evaluate the impact of changes in the infiltration coefficient on water quality
– Collaborate with partners on hydrological characterization of the field site
– Write publications
– Attend and present at international conferences
Your profile :
– Educational background in engineering
– Experience in environmental sensing
– Language: fluent English
– Self-motivation, scientific curiosity, critical thinking and rigor in experiment work
– Good communication skills and ability to work as part of an international team
– Enthusiasm, willingness to learn, good organizational skills, versatility
– The opportunity to develop an interdisciplinary project
– The opportunity to gain experience in environmental sensing in the field
– Excellent conditions and competitive remuneration
– A multi-cultural and stimulating scientific environment
Start date: As soon as possible.
Deadline: Applications will be evaluated starting October 8th
Term of employment: Fixed-term (CDD)
Work rate: 100%
Duration: This is a two-year funded position.
Remark: Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account.
Reference: Job Nb 3096