The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organization working in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability.
ASB’s Foreign Aid Department provides people centered humanitarian response to alleviate human suffering, contributes to building the resilience of systems, communities and societies and applies integrated approaches to welfare and to social and socio-economic development. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 100 projects in countries such as Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Greece, Haiti, Indonesia, Iraq, Kosovo, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Philippines, Serbia and Ukraine.
ASB is currently seeking expressions of interest from qualified and committed individuals for the following position:
Programme Manager (male/female/diverse)
REPORTS TO: Head of Foreign Aid Department
LOCATION: Cologne or Berlin with regular travel to project locations
PERIOD: 39 months, with 6 month probation period, earliest possible
The ASB, in collaboration with arche noVa e.V. (AN) and the German Toilet Organisation (GTO) has the opportunity to implement a 3-year Global Programme, which aims at strengthening local climate-sensitive and universal WASH capacities using and disseminating the Green Humanitarian Aid approach. Accordingly, the programme has the following areas of intervention: 1) Secure and universal access to climate-sensitive humanitarian WASH; 2) Strengthened local disaster preparedness and response capacities; 3) Green Humanitarian Aid and 4) Knowledge Management. The planned project will be implemented in 12 countries across 3 continents (Asia, Africa, Americas), with ASB, arche noVa and their national and local partner organisations being in charge of implementation at country level. The GTO will support the implementation mainly through programme level capacity development, knowledge management and advocacy.
Summary of position:
The Programme Manager is responsible for the overall management of the Global WASH Programme. A key responsibility of the position is to lead coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)/BfAA (donor agency), between consortium partners ASB, arche noVa and GTO as well as with country teams in charge of implementation at national and local level. The Programme Manager will ensure that all programme components are planned and implemented in line with approved proposal, donor regulations as well as agreed quality standards. Furthermore, the Programme Manager, in close collaboration with other members of the Programme Coordination Unit, will be in charge of ensuring that all reporting requirements are met, MEAL mechanisms are set-up and implemented for all programme components and good practises and lessons learned from implementation are collected, documented and disseminated in a structured manner. The Programme Manager will represent the programme to external stakeholders, present project results at relevant conferences and expert forums, and engage in project-relevant steering and coordination mechanisms.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- To lead the Programme Coordination Unit (PCU) and ensure quality delivery of the global programme.
- To communicate and closely coordinate with consortium partners and 12 country teams as well as to provide necessary technical assistance and support for programme implementation.
- In close collaboration with MEAL Coordinator: To develop and lead implementation of effective monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning – MEAL mechanisms and procedures.
- In close collaboration with Finance Manager and in adherence of ASB Standard Operating Procedures and Donor Guidelines: To supervise financial management of the programme and ensure establishment and implementation of financial monitoring and control mechanisms for the programme.
- In close collaboration with Communications Coordinator: To develop a communications strategy for the programme and support and supervise implementation of this strategy.
- In close cooperation with AN Global Project Coordinator: To communicate and coordinate all tasks with the counterparts at arche noVa e.V. including country offices
- To actively represent, communicate and promote the programme and its results to partners and key stakeholders both within Germany and at international level.
- To work closely with the Programme Steering Committee, Programme Coordination Unit as well as the Heads of 12 Country Teams particularly in terms of reviewing the programme strategy and identifying potential improvements for implementation at global as well as country level.
- To establish effective reporting mechanisms and high quality reporting in line with donor regulations.
- To ensure coherence and synergies with other relevant projects and programmes, both of the consortium members and other stakeholders. The latter includes, but is not limited to, exchange and coordination with other MFA-funded global programmes.
- To mentor and supervise staff (PCU only), build staff capacities and instil high standards of professionalism in line with accepted international professional standards and ASB and partner expectations.
- To comply with, promote and supervise compliance of ASB’s and the donor’s standards, guidelines and regulations.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience including in similar positions
- Advanced degree in humanitarian assistance, development studies, project management, community development, disaster risk reduction, WASH or related field
- Strong leadership skills as well as skills and experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Proven track-record in managing complex projects / programs. This includes sound knowledge and skills in use of programme management and compliance tools and approaches.
- Firm understanding of donor compliance and reporting (especially institutional donors such as German Foreign Ministry, BMZ, ECHO, CBPF, UN Agencies)
- Sound knowledge and skills in key working areas of the project (Humanitarian Assistance, Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change Adaptation, WASH). Specific experience and knowledge of relevant tools in the fields of “greening humanitarian aid”, “anticipatory action” would be an asset.
- Experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) as well as facilitation of learning processes, training / capacity development.
- Experience in management of knowledge-related activities, including the management, capturing, sharing and accessibility of knowledge assets
- Excellent networking, lobby, advocacy and negotiation skills, including knowledge of relevant networks, processes and mechanisms.
- Willingness to work in partnership and based on principles of inclusion.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English and German language (written and spoken) is an absolute must. French and/or Spanish language skills would be an asset.
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis, including under challenging circumstances
- High commitment, sense of responsibility and willingness to review work and build on learnings.
- A creative, critical, enquiring and flexible mind that is good at problem solving.
- Enthusiasm, energy and an innate desire to further develop personally and to improve the work of those around.
How to apply
Deadline for application:
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should submit:
- a Letter of Motivation (max. 2 pages) specifically addressing the above job description and requirements as well as mentioning salary expectations (in EUR)
- a CV (max. 2 pages)
- contacts for 2 recent professional references.
Applications must be sent as a single document by e-mail to:
Subject line: “Programme Manager WASH”
Only electronic applications accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: Sunday, 01 October 023
Website ASB Germany: http://www.asb.de/