Job Description and Opportunity
Coho Climate Advisors, an ERM Group Company (Coho) is a catalyst for large organizations to enact bold climate action. Coho works with clients to develop & initiate comprehensive carbon reduction strategies, incorporate renewables into operations, and reduce water use. Coho does this by identifying practical and effective solutions that organizations can act on. For Scope 1 emissions, we look to eliminate onsite emissions by discovering the intersection between high emission activities, and available low-carbon alternatives. To address Scope 2, we often procure energy solutions such as large-scale wind and solar, onsite and community solar, and retail energy. On the water front, we help clients recycle and optimize water usage, reducing demand for freshwater and discharge of wastewater.
Our summer internship positions allow individuals to start or continue their transition into climate, renewable energy (RE) and water through a paid 8-12 week intensive program that provides:
- client service experience working on a real client project
- opportunity for a targeted and impactful summer research project
- training on RE, climate, and water fundamentals and how to conduct effective and efficient client service
- peer and senior mentorship opportunities
- structured program with great opportunities for professional development
Analysts at Coho are highly empowered members of a team that provides climate, RE and water advisory services to our clients. Our analysts work across several client engagements, in a client-focused team, and interact frequently with client team members and Coho’s leadership team.
Candidates’ primary work location may be anywhere in the continental United States, with a requirement for travel to Coho’s headquarters in Bethesda, MD (in the Washington, DC metro area). Two weeks of the summer expected to be in Bethesda, with travel funded by Coho.
At Coho, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion help us foster a passionate, capable and fun team – and that they are important drivers of our core value to ‘be the best team.’ In line with our core values, Coho proudly embraces all people regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Example Job Roles
- Analyze client energy and water usage and cost and create models for future energy and water usage scenarios
- Build detailed Excel models simulating range of outcomes of climate, RE and water solutions
- Develop and evaluate new climate, RE and water projects and structures that meet client’s needs and address client specific concerns with contracting for long-term solutions
- Synthesize and summarize information from large data sets to help develop hypotheses for potential solutions
- Contribute to creative, client-specific problem solving to bring the best solutions to our clients
- Understand and summarize client needs, opportunities, issues and concerns
- Develop and create well organized storylines and logical presentations for clients and other audiences
- Communicate complex concepts and analyses succinctly to empower clients to reach their goals
Teamwork and client collaboration
- Work collaboratively with Coho and client teams both in person and in conference / video calls
- Engage with all levels at Coho and with clients from project team to C-suite members
- Contribute to an open, honest, and productive environment that enables highly impactful teams
- Engage and support in change management to enable buy-in and consensus of our clients
- Deliver measurable client impact and results
Qualifications and Skills
- 1-2 semesters remaining in undergraduate or Master’s program following the internship period (e.g., 3rd year undergraduate student in a 4-year program or 1st year Master’s student in a 2-year program).
- Excellent grades from a challenging undergraduate program
- Passion for sustainability, the energy industry, and large-scale renewables
- Comfort completing complex quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Ability to learn quickly, even in areas with limited experience or knowledge
- Strong oral and written communication skills; able to communicate complex matter in a simple, concise manner
- Interacts well with individuals from varied experience levels and backgrounds
- Strong sense of ownership/self-motivation; professional and organized with an ability to multi-task to deliver on tight deadlines
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team in an unstructured and flexible environment
- Evidence of creative problem-solving skills across a range of topics
- Honest and fun!
- Prior experience in one or more of the following is also a plus:
- Renewables, cleantech, water resiliency or energy industries
- Consulting, investment banking, private equity/venture capital, project finance, economics, or engineering
- Competitive electricity markets (wholesale and/or retail)
Apply for this Position
Please submit a cover letter and resume at cohoclimate.com/apply by midnight (ET) on Friday, November 3rd, and direct any additional inquiries to [email protected]
Coho is a global climate advisor dedicated to helping clients navigate complexity and take ambitious steps on their climate journey. We provide deep market insight, analytical problem-solving, and change management expertise so that clients can switch to renewable energy and make other large-scale climate and water resiliency investments with confidence and internal alignment. Clients turn to us at all stages of their journey, from strategy development to competitive procurement and implementation to performance management. These partnerships have resulted in dramatically cleaner and more resilient operations among a wide range of organizations, including corporates, academic institutions, and governments.