Job Description and Opportunity
Coho Climate Advisors, an ERM Group Company (Coho) is a catalyst for large organizations to enact bold climate action. Coho works with clients to develop & initiate comprehensive carbon reduction strategies, incorporate renewables into operations, and reduce water use. Coho does this by identifying practical and effective solutions that organizations can act on. For Scope 1 emissions, we look to eliminate onsite emissions by discovering the intersection between high emission activities, and available low-carbon alternatives. To address Scope 2, we often procure energy solutions such as large-scale wind and solar, onsite and community solar, and retail energy. On the water front, we help clients recycle and optimize water usage, reducing demand for freshwater and discharge of wastewater.
Associates at Coho are highly empowered members of a team that provides climate, renewable energy (RE) and water advisory services to Coho’s clients. Associates play a central role across several client engagements, work in a client-focused team, and interact frequently with client team members and Coho’s leadership team.
As an associate you will lead small projects or modules of larger projects. You will develop deep climate, RE and water resiliency market and project know-how; strong critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills; and the ability to conduct comprehensive RE project due diligence as well as technical and economic modeling skills typical of top-tier consulting firms—all applied to RE, climate and water resiliency strategies and solutions.
Team members at the Associate level often work across service lines but will typically align themselves with a focus area and support related client engagements. Candidates will be asked to select either the General service line, working primarily on Renewables, Climate, and other engagements that arise, or the Water service line, working on water resiliency engagements.
Candidates’ primary work location may be anywhere in the continental United States, with a requirement for periodic travel to Coho’s headquarters in Bethesda, MD, which is in the Washington, DC metro area.
At Coho, we believe that diversity, equity and inclusion help us foster a passionate, capable and fun team – and that they are important drivers of our core value to ‘be the best team.’ In line with our core values, Coho proudly embraces all people regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identify, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Example Job Roles
Analytics and problem solving
- Analyze client energy and water usage and cost and create models for future energy and water use scenarios
- Build and improve detailed Excel models simulating range of outcomes of RE solutions
- Review models and analysis completed by other team members to ensure quality and efficiency
- Conduct and lead transaction-related project due diligence processes
- Develop hypotheses to guide analytical process to desired outcomes for own work and that of more junior team members
- Lead and improve client-specific problem solving to bring the best solutions to our clients
- Understand and translate client dialogue into a clear set of deliverables and next steps
- Develop and create well-organized storylines and logical presentations for clients and other audiences, assist more junior team members with storyboard development
- Communicate complex concepts and analyses succinctly to empower clients to reach their goals
Teamwork and people leadership
- Lead Coho and client teams both in person and in conference / video calls during progress and decision-making meetings
- Engage with all levels at Coho and with clients from project team to C-suite members
- Create an open, honest and productive environment that enables highly impactful teams
- Develop more junior team members to achieve their professional growth and increase their contributions
Client and impact delivery
- Lead change management with our clients, identify potential roadblocks and create solutions to keep project and decision-making on time
- Deliver measurable client impact and results
Entrepreneurial and thought leadership
- Develop new thinking in the field of carbon, RE, and water solutions and analytical and evaluation approaches
- Participate in business development of clients and emerging market solutions
- Begin to identify project, client or market opportunities
Qualifications and Skills
- MBA or other Master’s degree with 3 or more years of relevant work experience
- Passion for sustainability, water resiliency, and the energy industry and/or renewables
- Comfort completing complex quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Ability to learn quickly, even in areas with limited experience or knowledge
- Strong oral and written communication skills; able to communicate complex matters in a simple, concise manner
- Strong interpersonal skills with individuals ranging from varied experience levels and backgrounds
- Strong sense of ownership/self-motivation; professional and organized with an ability to deliver on tight deadlines in an agile, growth-focused environment
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team in an unstructured and flexible environment
- Demonstrated project and team leadership experience; ability to plan, execute, and deliver impactful work for self and others
- Strong and creative problem-solving skills across a range of topics
- Honest and fun!
- Prior experience in one or more of the following is also a plus:
- Renewables, cleantech, water resiliency or energy industries
- Consulting, investment banking, PE/VC, project finance, economics, or engineering
- Competitive electricity markets (wholesale and/or retail)
Apply for this Position
Please submit a cover letter and resume at cohoclimate.com/apply by midnight (ET) on Friday, November 3rd, and direct any additional inquiries to [email protected]
Coho is a global climate advisor dedicated to helping clients navigate complexity and take ambitious steps on their climate journey. We provide deep market insight, analytical problem-solving, and change management expertise so that clients can switch to renewable energy and make other large-scale climate and water resiliency investments with confidence and internal alignment. Clients turn to us at all stages of their journey, from strategy development to competitive procurement and implementation to performance management. These partnerships have resulted in dramatically cleaner and more resilient operations among a wide range of organizations, including corporates, academic institutions, and governments.