Closing Date: 04/10/2023
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European Non-profit Science and Technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its five Research Centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Centre (EEWRC), the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Climate and Atmosphere Research Center (CARE-C) and the Science and Technology Driven Policy and Innovation Research Center (STeDI-RC). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites application for a highly qualified and motivated individual to join the team of the Water Department of EEWRC as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Hydrology and Ecosystem Sciences. To improve our knowledge of hydrologic and ecosystems processes in a variable and changing semi-arid climate, the Water Department is maintaining a number of hydro-ecological monitoring stations in agricultural and natural ecosystems in Cyprus. The successful candidate will cooperate with colleagues of the Water Department in the design and maintenance of these monitoring activities. The candidate will use the data from these experimental field observatories to parameterize gridded land surface and hydrologic models, such as NOAH-MP and WRF-Hydro.
The candidate is also expected to contribute to the new Horizon EU PREVENT Project (Improved predictability of extremes over the Mediterranean from seasonal to decadal), coordinated by Greece and lead in Cyprus by CyI’s Climate and Atmosphere Research Center, with colleagues from Germany, France, Israel, Morocco and The Netherlands. Here the candidate will test and adapt the use of WRF-Hydro for seasonal predictions and scenario development for irrigation and water resources management.
The initial period of the appointment will be for a duration of two years with the possibility of renewal, depending on performance and availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
- Maintain off-grid hydrologic, meteorological and ecosystem sensors, data loggers and field observations
- Manage and analyze large experimental data sets, including data quality checks and processing
- Expand and parameterize Noah-MP or similar land surface models, to simulate Mediterranean ecosystems, crops and irrigation requirements, using field observations
- Apply the model in a coupled mode to simulate seasonal and decadal predictions for irrigation and water resources management
- Develop and model scenarios for sustainable water management
- PhD in Hydrologic, Environmental or Earth Sciences or Engineering (Candidates who have fulfilled all PhD requirements (defense completed) will be considered)
- Experience in hydrologic, agricultural or environmental fieldwork, including the set-up and maintenance of data-loggers
- Proven experience in numerical land surface, hydrological and atmospheric modeling (WRF-Hydro or others) in a High Performance Computing environment
- Experience with Python, Fortran, R and NetCDF
- High level of problem-solving and organizational skills
- Good team player with the ability to adapt to a multicultural and multidisciplinary research environment
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Driver’s License
- Experience in ArcGIS
- Relevant work experience
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute Exelsys Platform (https://bit.ly/3HDLRTw) based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a short letter of interest, and a list of three (3) referees (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Adriana Bruggeman (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not fulfill the required qualifications and do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
The Cyprus Institute is an Equal Opportunities Employer certified from the Cypriot Ministry of Labor and also an HRS4R accredited Institution that adheres to the European Commission’s “Charter & Code” principles for recruitment and selection.
Contact person: Adriana Bruggeman
Reference number: EEWRC_PDF_23_08