- Are you passionate about communications and engagement?
- Are you interested in joining a dynamic and high performing team?
- Would you like work related to some of Australia’s biggest water policy challenges?
Who we are
The Water Policy Division provides leadership and strategic policy to ensure the sustainable future of our rivers and wetlands and the people who depend on them. The Division supports water reform initiatives in the Murray–Darling Basin and leads national water reform – working to future-proof Australia’s water resources and provide support to First Nations in our national water story.
The Water Reform Division was established in August 2022 to accelerate delivery of the Australian Government’s significant water reform agenda. The division is a key driving force for policy reform in the Murray–Darling Basin, implementing water market reforms and providing advice to the Commonwealth Water Minister on legislation.
We are looking for motivated people who love communications and engagement and working collaboratively. This is a great opportunity to join a diverse and high-performing team within the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water.
Duties for the role may include:
- A commitment to understanding the policy and program priorities of the division.
- Provide advice and support to the division on external engagement, events, communication, media, or internal communications and culture.
- Manage the delivery of engagement and/or communications services for the division.
- Demonstrate well developed written and oral skills to ensure communication products meet the needs of the target audience.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of communication and/or engagement strategies to ensure continual improvement.
- Manage the procurement, selection, and delivery of contracted work.
- Provide visual communication and graphic design support to service the entire water group.
- Develop professional networks in the team and in the division.
- Contribute to the division’s culture and strategic direction.
- Manage other staff as needed.
What we are looking for
Knowledge and experience
The successful applicants will have the following;
- Experience in developing and delivering communication and engagement plans to a high standard.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills including an ability to synthesise and tailor diverse messages and information in plain English and for media use.
- Ability to promote and manage complex relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Previous experience using clearance channels and processes to finalise content.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to deliver within requested timeframes.
- Previous experience delivering engagement and/or communication strategies.
- A commitment to understanding the policy and program context and content, and the department’s responsibilities to ensure alignment of team activities.
- A commitment to complying with the department’s legislative, financial, and administrative frameworks, government decision-making processes and agency guidelines and regulations.
- Some travel and out of hours work may be expected.
Skills and capabilities
- Some knowledge of water policy and programs is highly regarded.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in marketing, communications, stakeholder engagement, journalism or related field would be an advantage.
Eligibility and other requirements
Citizenship – To be eligible for employment with the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water you must be an Australian citizen.
Security Clearance – This position requires a Baseline Vetting security clearance. You will be required to obtain and maintain a clearance at this level.
For additional information, please read the Job Description below.
How to apply: