Are you a scientist in freshwater ecology? Are you interested in working on solutions to restore freshwater biodiversity and the natural functioning of freshwaters? Do you want to work in a country that has nature and water at its heart? If so, NIVA has an exciting opportunity for you. We are looking for a Researcher with two to five years of experience in academia, industry or government to expand NIVAs profile in freshwater research.
NIVA’s vision is “Research for a sustainable future” and we aim to deliver impactful research, contributing to the knowledge base for Europe’s Green Deal and the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We carry out research and innovation on topics such as freshwater biodiversity, climate impacts, freshwater restoration, nature-based solutions and landscape ecology. We are active in developing new methods for monitoring freshwaters and riparian zones, including the use of drones, eDNA, satellite remote sensing and citizen science. Research focuses nationally, from southern Norway to Arctic systems on Svalbard, across Europe on several European projects, and internationally in Asia and South America.
The Researcher will be part of the Section on Nature-based solutions and Aquatic Ecology and reports to the head of the section. For research purposes, this section works together with a second section in Freshwater Ecology. The sections work interdisciplinary with other NIVA sections which work on catchment processes, environmental law and governance, social science, data science, environmental contaminants and marine and coastal ecosystems to better understand environmental challenges and to provide sustainable solutions.
- Contribute to developing NIVA’s project portfolio
- Develop and utilize professional and marketing networks
- Contribute to innovative research and market development
- Write bids and proposals for national and mid-sized international project acquisitions
- On average, author or co-author 2 peer-reviewed articles per year and lead report writing
- Transfer expertise and share knowledge within and across sections
Qualifications and experience
We are looking for a Researcher with recognized expertise in freshwater ecosystems. Research experience in topics such as freshwater ecology, freshwater biodiversity, ecological modelling, remote sensing, restoration, management and nature-based solutions, landscape ecology, climate change impacts and adaptation, or new monitoring methods are desirable.
In addition, we are primarily searching for a researcher with the following qualifications:
- At least 2 years of postdoctoral experience in an academic or applied work environment.
- Experienced in participating in national and international research projects
- Good publication record for experience level
- Experience with writing offers and/or project proposals
- Interest in, and experience with dissemination of research
- Very good written and oral English skills are a prerequisite; knowledge of Norwegian or another related Scandinavian language would be desirable.
We are looking for someone that is driven by solving environmental challenges in collaboration with social actors and employees with different expertise. You are team-oriented and communicate well, both internally (section(s)) and externally (clients and partners). A positive attitude is essential, and you should have a desire and the ability to work on complex tasks in teams.
Inclusion and diversity
NIVA’s work environment is distinguished by respect and equality. We do not discriminate based on gender, age, functional ability, religion, ethnic and cultural background or any other defining aspect of an individual. We wish to attract diversity as different perspectives promote innovation and encourage all qualified candidates to apply for positions at NIVA regardless of age, gender, functional ability, nationality, or ethnical background.
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a leading national water research institute with great societal significance
- An opportunity for professional and personal development in an organization where responsibility and initiative are highly valued
- To be part of a network of national and international researchers
- A multicultural, social, and creative work environment
- Flexible working hours, good pension, welfare and insurance schemes, and competitive salary
Applicants can be evaluated and contacted before the application deadline