After making landfall in Libya on Sunday, 10 September 2023, the Mediterranean Storm Daniel caused flash flooding in several north-east areas of the country. Based on initial assessments, the storm caused two dams to burst in the city of Derna, causing massive waves of water to inundate populated areas.
The Libyan Government has sent out a general request for support to the international community. RVO is currently rapidly assessing if there is expertise available which covers one or more of the following profiles:
- Experts in dams, flood management and urban planning;
- Environmental experts to assess and manage potential contamination;
- Engineers to assess infrastructure damage;
- Experts in reconstruction efforts;
- Experts who have experience with conducting rapid needs assessments with the World Bank.
Additionally, RVO is expecting a surge request from IOM for an engineer with programme management skills and good knowledge on the reconstruction of hardware. A Terms of Reference is expected to be shared tomorrow, the duration of the assignment is estimated to be 3 months in country.
Interested? Kindly sent a short email indicating your expertise as well as an updated CV to [email protected] as soon as possible.
As this is only a call for interest, RVO will not reply to all individual applications. When specific expertise is needed, RVO will match the required expertise to that which is available and contact the specific expert in question.