The role is required in order to ensure technical quality of the WASH program implementation at field-level. The WASH Technician will be responsible for conducting technical assessments, technical monitoring and supervision, and providing technical advice to contractors, beneficiaries and communities.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Officer
Staff reporting to this post: WASH Volunteers
Role Dimensions: Communication with municipalities, union of municipalities, public administrations, other NGOs and stakeholders who are partners in the implementation of common projects.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Cross checking and supervising the responsibilities related to Distribution and other partner/projects tasks.
- Create and maintain updated monitoring and referencing sheets
- Ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems are in place, support staff in all monitoring processes and provide monthly and weekly reports on progress.
- Be responsible for technical part of WASH and IPC materials
- Conduct technical assessments of WASH related projects including existing facilities inside shelters and isolation centres
- Prepare technical drawings, where required
- Executes the specific inspections on materials, equipment and construction/installation activities on site
- Issues the relevant Quality Records and, when necessary, write and send to Officer & Program Manager non-conformances reports
- Perform regular quality assessments on all incoming materials & kits from vendors / donors, reject & report all products and materials that fail to meet quality expectations & standards, document inspection outcomes by completing detailed reports and performance records
- Conduct regular visits to beneficiaries & sites
- Monitor and control the warehouse in/out quantities by keeping a record and update it regularly
- Provide the volunteers with the required resources in order to maximize the distribution
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of activities by collecting appropriate data from selected beneficiaries, using pre-made questionnaires
- Conduct regular site visits to supervise and/or monitor progress and quality
- Plan and be responsible for the weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed…)
- In collaboration with the WASH Officer, identify capacity building requirements of WASH Volunteers and deliver technical trainings including for partner’s staff;
- Develop personal monitoring plans (including concrete objectives) for each direct report;
- Support supervision, coaching and performance management of all WASH Volunteers;
- Coordination with Supply Chain Department for necessary items, quality checks, distributions and availability of needed supplies
- Coordination with HR to ensure all volunteers undergo appropriate training, learn and abide by all SCI policies and procedures
- Organize and follow up with items and deliveries from and to isolation center
Team management and capacity building
- Conduct awareness sessions on Save the Children’s Feedback Mechanism System, and encourage its use
- Conduct trainings for volunteers on project implementation and changes
- Check that volunteers are receiving the relevant trainings and refresher sessions.
- Make sure that the volunteers are giving a good image of Save the Children Lebanon during their presence in the field.
- Frequent participation in meetings and group sessions between stakeholders and partners that are involved in the implementation of the same or similar projects
- Coordinate and communicate with other partners to implement common projects according to the scope of work and according to the satisfaction of stakeholders.
- Assure good representing of Save the Children Lebanon in isolation centres, shelters, municipalities, government administration or during the communication with any other party.
- Make sure to contribute positively to the image of Save the Children Lebanon with beneficiaries, refugees and the needy.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Adherence to Save the Children policies and procedures
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures;
- Degree in engineering or similar field, equivalent work experience is considered
- Fluency in English and Arabic
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 1 year of experience in the construction sector
- Strength in interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Available to travel within the country
- Computer skills (especially Excel and design software like Autocad)
- Experience in field work and community mobilization
- Experience in conducting training and sensitization sessions for communities and beneficiaries
- NGO experience
- Shelter and/or WASH experience in humanitarian context
- Familiarity with refugee communities in country of operation
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.