FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender equality, youth, research, technology, communication, and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development and humanitarian challenge in more than 70 countries. FHI 360’s Crisis Response team is responding to the humanitarian emergency in the Northern Ethiopia through an integrated health, nutrition, WASH, and Protection program focused on decreasing morbidity and mortality among the conflict-affected population.
Under supervision of the WASH Officer, the WASH assistant- Hygiene promotion is responsible for supporting all scale-up of public health promotion components of the WASH activities in FHI 360 implementation areas in Afar region. The WASH Assistant-HP will be responsible for helping the WASH officer in providing technical guidance to volunteers, HAD’s, contractors, skilled and unskilled daily laborer’s, IDPs and partners at field level under his duty areas of assignment and ensure that public health promotion components of the program implementation adheres to appropriate international standards and Ministry of water and health guidelines with particular emphasis on the hygiene, sanitation, NFI and Environmental health components of the response.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
• Support the WASH officer in facilitating the process of establishing smooth and fulfilling work relationships with host government offices and their implementing arms.
• Support the timely startup of planned WASH undertakings in all IDP camps under FHI360 support in Aba’ala.
• Participate in the planning and ensure all procedures and internal requirements are in place and assigned to volunteers in consultation with the WASH officer.
• Support the WASH officer in facilitation of technical trainings related to PHP approaches, including “WASH’EM” and “Baby and Mothers, as well as ‘SUPER TOWELS’ in selected areas of interventions.
• Support baseline, endline, KAP, and PDM surveys as needed.
• Support field assistants, volunteers, and partners in the proper implementation of WASH NFI and MHM kits provisions including site identification, site specific beneficiary selection criteria development, beneficiary verifications and distributions.
• Regularly coordinate with the WASH assistant/Engineer and support in ensuring full packages of waste management and hygiene promotion for health facilities implementing nutrition programs.
• Support in review of existing harmonized IEC materials, and when needed contribute to the development, testing and dissemination.
• Facilitate the organization of public health promotion campaigns and events.
• Represent FHI 360 at various levels of WASH platforms including the WASH Cluster and its technical working groups as assigned by supervisor.
• Work closely with other FHI 360 units, including health and nutrition, logistics and finance, HR, and administration, to ensure programmatic integrations, effectiveness, efficiency, and compliance.
• Supervise and technically support the WASH Assistants at field in the implementation of the PHP activities of the response.
• Guide and support WASH volunteers and WASHCos to discharge their duties.
• Support the WASH Officer in Identifying infrastructural and IPC problems within health facility settings to come up with technical and financial propositions of how they can be fixed.
• Identify WASH needs within target communities and health facilities, including identification of waste disposal facilities, sanitation and hygiene supplies and coming up with technical proposition of how the systems can be restored.
• Support the WASH officer to prepare detailed procurement, supply, and spending plans for identified WASH PHP undertakings under your areas of assignment as needed.
• Any additional tasks assigned by the supervisor.
• At least 2-3 years of national work experience in NGO setting, working on WASH or any other humanitarian project is strongly required.
• Diploma/Associate degree in environmental health, public health, social science, social work, community health or any relevant field of study. Additional two years of experience in a similar position in NGO setting can be considered in lieu of the associate degree/diploma.
• Capable to form networks and liaise with local stakeholders.
• Fluent in local language and excellent in English.
Please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with ‘WASH Assistant _Hygiene
Promotion in the subject line or drop off your application at the address below:
Drop your application clearly marked ‘Application for WASH Assistant _Hygiene Promotion – Afar to FHI360 Office in Aba’ala.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
Our values and commitments to safeguarding:FHI 360 is committed to preventing any type of abuse, exploitation and harassment in our work environments and programs, including sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment. FHI 360 takes steps to safeguard the welfare of everyone who engages with our organization and programs and requires that all personnel, including staff members and volunteers, share this commitment and sign our code of conduct. All offers of employment will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including reference, criminal record and terrorism finance checks. FHI 360 also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (MDS), facilitated by the Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response. In line with the MDS, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any substantiated findings of sexual abuse, exploitation and/or harassment during the applicant’s tenure with previous employers. By applying, job applicants confirm their understanding of these recruitment procedures and consent to these screening checks.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.