- Job number: SRH05374
- Area of expertise: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Status: Employee
- Position: Missions
- Country: Ukraine
- Contract Type: Short term contract
Desired start date: 01/07/2023
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Kharkiv – Ukraine
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, since more than 40 years, has been providing assistance to populations affected by armed conflicts and natural disasters by meeting their basic needs for food, water and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI’s interventions provide expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene promotion, but also in the essential area of food security and livelihoods. Present in some twenty countries, the SI teams – 2500 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at HQ, and a few volunteers – intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultural norms.
ABOUT THE MISSION
The conflict in Ukraine has seen a dramatic and rapid escalation since 24th February 2022 with massive multidimensional attacks from Russian troops throughout Ukraine, from the East, North, and Southern borders that affected a large part of the country including the capital, Kyiv. This attack has been immediately followed by massive displacements, and more than 4 500 000 Ukrainians have taken refuge in neighboring countries. About 6 500 000 are internally displaced, mostly in the Western part of the country. In the East, impacts of the conflict are felt and humanitarian operations support people remaining on the frontlines.
SI strategy is to support the population in transit, the IDPs where they are settling and the population on the frontline directly affected by the ongoing conflict through a multisectoral approach including WaSH, Shelter, NFI, Food Security, and Multi-Sectoral Cash activities.
Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staff:
The coordination in Kyiv was the last base opened in the country around September-October 2022. Prior to that SI opened and developed activities in Lviv, Uman, Odesa, Mykholaiv, Dnipro, Donetsk, and Kharkiv. From November 2022 SI also opened activities in Kherson. The mission is also supervising and supporting projects in Moldova with a base in Chisinau working for Ukrainian refugees and host communities.
The budget projected was approximately 30 million for 2022-2023 (from the start to mid-2023). SI expects to support the Ukrainian population in both countries for an expected amount of 24M EUR.
The setup of the mission is the following:
- One coordination based in Kyiv
- One operational base in Lviv Oblast and sub-base in Uman Raion (Cherkasky Oblast) focusing on IDPs response
- One operational base in Mykolaiv with a sub-base in Odesa focusing on humanitarian aid delivery to populations in need in Mykolaivska, Khersonska and Odeska Oblasts.
- One operational base in Dnipro
One operational base in Kharkiv
These two bases are focusing on humanitarian aid delivery to Eastern Oblasts (Dnipropetrovska, Kharkivska, Donetska, Luhanska, Zaporizka) and support to IDPs.
- One operational base in Chisinau (Moldova) focusing on refugee response.
Key current donors include BHA, ECHO, UNICEF, UHF, and CDCS.
The mission is evolving and currently counts around 40 expatriates and 130 national employees.
ABOUT THE JOB
The program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals.
He/she is in charge of supervising the operational teams allocated to his/her program.
He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented program and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
Main issues and specific challenges of the position:
- Supporting the Wash Activity Manager in implementing activities
- Contribute to Wash strategy of Kharkiv Oblast
- Implement Echo activities which is ending on August 2023
- Transfers of knowledge on technical water supply network
- National staff often well skilled but lack of experience of working in the humanitarian sector.
Priorities for the first 2-3 months:
- Define a capacity building plan
- Define and implement wash strategy and activities in close collaboration with the Activity Manager
- Supporting the implementation of wash activities in new opened areas in Kharkiv Oblast
Education / academic background:
- WaSH engineering educative background preferably in Water supply network
- At least 1 year as Wash PM in position.
- Previous experience with SI would be an asset
Skills and technical knowledge:
- Training and capacity building skills
- Water Supply distribution
- Rehabilitation of complex network
- Full working proficiency in English (read, spoken & written)
- Knowledge of Ukrainian/Russian an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried position:
According to experience, starting from EUR 1980 gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 €.
Starting from August 1st, 2023 onwards, the basic gross salary will be increased to 2100€/month as part of a review of the salary grid.
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Breaks: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of 7 working days every three months (with a USD 850 break allowance, allocated by Sl). To these breaks periods, SI grants one (1) additional rest day per month worked.
Insurance package: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which refunds all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? If yes, please send us your CV and cover letter!
Please note that CV-only applications will not be considered, and that the vacancy may close before the deadline.
Thank you for your understanding.
To learn more about Sl: www.solidarites.org