|Position||Specialist (P5) / Sr. Specialist (P6)Water Security, Sanitation, and Hygiene|
|Department||USG, Development Innovations, Environment Sector|
|Reports To||Water, Energy, and Waste, Sr. Practice Director|
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social, environmental, and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI is a Water Security, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WSSH) sector leader with a dedicated technical team in DAI headquarters and flagship USAID programs in Haiti , Indonesia , Kenya , Lebanon , Nepal , and the Philippines . We have additional significant WSSH activities under our governance programs in Guatemala , Iraq , and Mozambique , among others. Our experience is comprehensive – encompassing the upstream protection and management of water resources, climate change adaptation and water security, water for productive uses, regulatory and monitoring systems, utility reform, development of sanitation markets, rural service delivery models, and more. We recognize that societies get the greatest health and economic benefits from water and sanitation when we leverage benefits within and across sectors (and across our projects) and when local stakeholders are at the center of the decision-making process and part of a collaborative implementation approach. WSSH is part of DAI’s Water, Energy, and Waste (WEW) practice, facilitating synergies with clean energy and circular economies, in particular. The WEW Practice is within the Environment Sector at DAI providing further linkages to DAI’s broader climate finance, mitigation, and adaptation work, natural resources management, and land reform.
The Specialist/Sr. Specialist, WSSH will be a critical part of the team leading business development and implementation of DAI’s USAID WSSH projects. The Specialist/Sr. Specialist will contribute to WSSH thought leadership and knowledge management, including participation in domestic and international sector events, and connecting knowledge efforts among DAI projects. The Specialist/Sr. Specialist will bring his/her technical expertise to bear in developing compelling proposals and in providing technical assistance and other support to DAI’s diverse WSSH projects. The Specialist/ Sr. Specialist will help develop and maintain a network of WSSH clients, experts, and partners on behalf of DAI and serve as a cross-cutting resource within the Environment Sector team, collaborating with specialists across the organization to contribute to successful integration of WSSH activities into Environment, Economic Growth, Governance, Digital, and Health projects and bids.
The Specialist/ Sr. Specialist may spend up to 20% of their time traveling internationally to support business development efforts and projects around the world.
This is a full-time, permanent position. U.S. work authorization is required.
· Undertake short-term technical assignments (STTA) in WSSH and other areas.
· Directly support DAI projects with work planning, activity implementation, and development of technical tools and solutions that help achieve program objectives; provide quality control on technical deliverable and support communications and knowledge management.
· Conduct research, synthesize information and evidence, and support development of technical deliverables for DAI’s USAID projects; package and present technical work to diverse and non-expert audiences.
· Identify new sector trends and serve as a subject matter expert to ensure integration of WSSH, across programs in Environment, Economic Growth, Governance, Digital, and Health.
· Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with clients and partners.
Business Development and Growth
• Contribute to DAI’s thought leadership agenda aligning to DAI’s Environment Sector business development priorities and longer-term market positioning.
• Contribute to research and strategy in support of the development and implementation of the WSSH and WEW new business pipeline.
• Participate in pre-positioning for specific opportunities including reconnaissance trips, research, and development of capture strategies.
• Support identification and recruitment of experts and partners for bids and projects.
• Serve in various roles in the proposal process including technical writer, manager, and, eventually, champion.
• Build and expand strategic client relationships, especially with USAID, and grow the WSSH and WEW network of implementation partners both domestically and internationally.
• Capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices from program implementation to build on and advance DAI’s reputation as a market leader in WSSH and other Environment Sector technical areas.
• Encourage cross-project learning.
• Enhance DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position through participation in conferences, field-based workshops, events and seminars, and social media.
• Participate in DAI corporate activities, including planning, new business forecasting, team-building meetings, working groups, and cross-business unit initiatives.
• Contribute to publications, presentations, event participation, etc. to enhance DAI’s reputation and brand with our key clients.
• Stay abreast of client and international development trends in assigned area.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
· Grade 5: Minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience related to WSSH technical areas, and a college degree; or 2 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree
· Grade 6: Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in the WSSH sector and a college degree, or 3 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree.
· Demonstrated experience preparing proposals for USAID and/or other international donor agencies, particularly proposals related to WSSH challenges.
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, able to prioritize assignments and manage multiple deadlines.
· Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex or technical information clearly, and tailor communication style to diverse audiences.
· Able to build and maintain good working relationships with teams at all levels of the organization, including project teams, and external clients from diverse backgrounds.
· Demonstrated emotional intelligence with empathy and strong interpersonal skills.
· Able and willing to travel to any country where DAI currently operates or may wish to operate barring times when DAI Global Security has deemed travel unsafe.
· Authorized to work in the United States. Applicants must specify their preferred work country in their application.
· Willing and able to adjust work schedule, if needed, to support teams located in different time zones/countries.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
• Demonstrated ability to work across sectors and in other WEW and Environment practice areas.
• Experience working in developing countries including conflict and fragile states.
• Proficiency in French, Spanish, or other relevant languages
Compensation & Benefits:
For employees working the United States, the full-time equivalent annual base salary for this position is expected to be between $87,931 to 128,997. Salary for part-time employees will be prorated based on actual hours worked. Actual offers will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, qualifications, relevant education, experience, skills, seniority, performance, and business or organizational needs.
Eligible U.S. based employees, will be able to enroll in medical, dental and vision insurance, plus a 401(k)-retirement plan with a company match. Additionally, employees will be eligible for company-paid annual leave (vacation & holidays), sick leave, parental leave; as well as short- and long-term disability coverage. Detailed information will be provided at the time a formal offer is extended.
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE – Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans