The International Water Management Institute (IWMI), a CGIAR Research Center, is seeking applications from enthusiastic students who are interested in contributing to the activities of the CGIAR Initiative on NEXUS Gains under IWMI’s internship program.
Scope of internship
The CGIAR Initiative on NEXUS Gains works at the critical intersection of food, energy and water security while preserving the underlying food systems of ecosystems in selected transboundary river basins. Research under NEXUS Gains began in 2022 and will continue until 2024. This initiative is one of 30-plus initiatives that are undertaking research on different aspects of food, land and water systems where IWMI plays an important role in many of them. This internship would suit a graduate aiming to gain practical experience in research management, program coordination and administration, progress monitoring and reporting. The intern would gain experience working in the headquarters of a leading international research institute and would have the opportunity to interact with researchers working for partners in various locations across the world.
During this internship, the intern will assist in the following areas:
• Gather and categorize 2023 outputs, including knowledge products and results from capacity development and innovation activities.
• Work within the CGIAR Program Results Monitoring System (PRMS) to enter detailed deliverable data and the CG publication repository ‘CGSpace’ to cross-check deliverables.
• Liaise with partner researchers to complete and compile information.
• Supporting the NEXUS Gains management team and communications team on the process of using deliverable data to feed into other parts of the CGIAR reporting process.
• Synthesize information on deliverables for input to the initiative’s narrative annual report.
• Work with the Program Coordinator to update program management files for the initiative and put in place guidelines for the appropriate use of the filing system.
• Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in the field of Agriculture, Development Studies or any relevant field.
• Experience in applying the concepts of project management, progress reporting and/ or data management.
• Understanding of the concepts of impact pathways, outcomes, milestones and results, as applied to research and its objectives.
• Understanding of key concepts in water, energy, food and ecosystems management, and sustainable agriculture.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with scientists at various levels of seniority, across different communities and cultures.
• Experience and familiarity with Excel and SharePoint/MS Teams.
• Ability to take initiative, work independently and meet deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal.
IWMI will provide a monthly stipend to the selected candidate during the internship period.
The duration of the internship is 6 months, with the possibility of an extension of another 6 months based on performance, the requirements of IWMI, and the availability of funds. This is a nationally recruited internship, and only Sri Lankan citizens are eligible to apply.
To apply, visit www.iwmi.org/jobs. Applications must be submitted by 24:00 (Colombo time) on September 11,2023 (Monday).
The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is an international, research-for-development organization that works with governments, civil society and the private sector to solve water problems in developing countries and scale up solutions. Through partnership, IWMI combines research on the sustainable use of water and land resources, knowledge services and products with capacity strengthening, dialogue and policy analysis to support implementation of water management solutions for agriculture, ecosystems, climate change and inclusive economic growth. Headquartered in Colombo, Sri Lanka, IWMI is a CGIAR Research Center with offices in 14 countries and a global network of scientists operating in more than 30 countries. www.iwmi.org
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.