Place of work: Magdeburg
Working time: 65%
Contract limitations: limited contract / 3 years (01.06.2023-31.05.2026)
Salary: Remuneration according to the TVöD public-sector up to pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Dr. Seifeddine Jomaa ([email protected], Tel.: +49-391-810-9135)
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
Hydrological and water quality modelling at the catchment scale
Equitable water distribution among different sectors at the catchment scale, including domestic use, irrigation and ecosystems, is urgently needed to ensure future-proof water management in a warmer world. To this, a holistic and real-time view of the status of all water utilities and needs at river basin as an interconnected and integrated system is required. This cannot be achieved without appropriate data integration from multiple advanced-monitoring techniques, innovative modelling and optimization capabilities, benefiting from digital twin technologies to make optimized solutions easy-to-use for decision-making. The Bode river basin in Germany, considered one of the best instrumented and monitored catchments in central Europe, can serve as a showcase for timely and multisectoral water storage and distribution at the catchment scale. A combination of detailed process-based hydrological water quality modelling (such as the mHM-Nitrate model), high-frequency monitoring network and remote sensing retrieved information will be combined to develop a timely and digital river basin system. Improving science-based knowledge of the boundary conditions for different water bodies and infrastructures is crucial towards integrated and multisectoral water management. The selected candidate will support the modelling investigation, data integration and digitalization of the Bode river basin and will lead and contribute to project publications.
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams
- Excellent links with national and international research networks
- Excellent support and optimal subject-specific and general training with our HIGRADE graduate school
- Remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13
- You have a Master degree in Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Environmental Sciences or any related discipline,
- You have good analytical skills and experience with data analysis using QGIS, R, Python or equivalent,
- You are interested in water quality modelling and research,
- You are fluent in English and like working in an intercultural working group.