About the job
Application DEADLINE: April 7, 2023
The internship can be based at our headquarters, in Denver, Colorado, or may be remote in the following locations:
USA states of California, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington D.C.
Cambodia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Nepal, Ghana, Ethiopia, Zambia, Mozambique, Honduras, UK.
In all instances, interns must have the right to work in those locations.
This is a paid internship. The rate for US-based applicants is $20.00/hour.
Title: Global WASH Digital Content Intern
iDE is a non-governmental organization dedicated to ending poverty through entrepreneurship. Our work in agriculture, WASH, gender equality and climate resilience stands out in the international development sector because we don’t simply hand out money or supplies. Instead, we believe in powering small-scale entrepreneurs; given access to simple technology, market links, and microfinance, iDE has demonstrated that entrepreneurs can lift themselves out of poverty and become change agents in their communities.iDE is a highly decentralized ecosystem of over 1,200 staff who are passionate about innovation and impact. For 40 years iDE has made an impact in the lives of more than 37 million people globally.
About Global WASH
The Global WASH Initiative implements water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programs in four countries in Asia and Africa. iDE has been researching, designing, and scaling sustainable sanitation enterprises around the world for the last ten years. To date, we have sold over one million toilets and 600,000 water filters across Cambodia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Nepal, Ethiopia and Ghana.
The Global WASH team, based out of the Denver office, offers technical and strategic guidance and support across the global portfolio.
In 2022, the Global WASH team completed an internal sprint on our knowledge management practices, which highlighted key needs in internal and external documentation and storytelling. This team seeks a graduate student to collect and collate documentation on iDE’s thought leadership, evidence-based stories, and technical programming; create new content based on interviews with iDE staff in country offices or material provided by them, in coordination with iDE’s Communications team; build an internal knowledge management and learning platform; establish file management protocols. A new Google Site and file management system has been launched; however, progress on our WASH Markets Microsite is stalled, and information about our programs in Ethiopia and Bangladesh is needed.
The emphasis of this role will be on distilling key lessons from existing documentation into external facing formats, with a focus on our existing WASH Markets Microsite.
- Work with the GW Director and GW Senior Manager to finalize new architecture for WASH markets microsite.
- Produce stories and external knowledge products for iDE’s external WASH microsite, including testing new formats such as blogs, interviews and photo essay, aligned with the Global WASH strategic communication plan under development. Ensure there are articles highlighting the WASH work in Ethiopia and Bangladesh.
- Some additional tasks, such as conducting literature reviews, may be requested.
Supervision: This position reports to the Global WASH Innovation and Performance Senior Manager, who will act as Coordinator for the Intern. The Coordinator will meet regularly with the Intern and will guide their work with iDE.
Hours: We are looking for an individual who is able to commit 15 hours per week to iDE over the term of the internship (up to 140 hours).
Assignment Dates: We are looking for an intern/fellow to join early June 2022 and will likely end mid to late August 2023, at a mutually agreed upon date based on Intern availability and Global WASH need for support. (If the intern is interested in starting sooner than June, there is an opportunity to do so in agreement with the Global WASH team).
- Current graduate student or recent graduate in Communications, Knowledge Management, Web Design, or related field
- Interest in WASH, international development, market ecosystems
- Experience creating and editing written, graphic, and multimedia web content
- Working knowledge of Google Workspace; experience with Google Sites is a plus
- Ability to work independently and collaborate across teams
- High attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Demonstrates and supports a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Flexible, adaptable and resourceful
Compensation: This is a paid internship. The rate for US-based applicants is $20.00/hour.
iDE takes pride in our talented and diverse workforce. Minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Hiring, promotion, and compensation of employees are conducted without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.