All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role and responsibilities
The Shelter/WASH Project Coordinator leads the implementation of infrastructural projects in urban and rural settings (water supply, wastewater, energy, construction, rehabilitation) and he/she is responsible for overseeing the planning, design and supervision of shelter/WASH activities implemented by NRC in northern Ukraine, particularly Kyiv.
The purpose of the Shelter/WASH Project Coordinator position is to ensure that project activities pertaining to repair and rehabilitation/refurbishment of buildings, maintenance of water systems and energy efficient solutions are planned, implemented, monitored, and reported according to NRC standards and procedures and national regulations.
- Direct line management of the Shelter/WASH team, setting clear objectives for team members and indicators to monitor performance.
- Ensure compliance with NRC shelter strategy, tools, guidelines, and standards.
- Contribute to core competency strategy development and provide inputs on needs and gaps identified in NRC’s geographical and programmatic area of implementation.
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of partners-led and directly implemented Shelter/WASH projects (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, ensure high technical quality, and provide regular reports to the Shelter/WASH Project Manager.
- Manage the project budget in his/her geographical and programmatic areas of implementation.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in project activities.
- Produce and review all technical documents required by the Shelter/WASH PM and/or donor(s).
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders (i.e. local authorities, other humanitarian organizations, volunteering groups).
- Promote the rights of IDPs in line with NRC’s advocacy strategy.
- Promote accountability towards affected population in Ukraine.
- Coordinate and lead field assessments in targeted buildings/infrastructure to identify rehabilitation/upgrade needs and define intervention strategy/plans
- Contribute to development of specific technical guidance, tools and mechanism to support and monitor the activities of the Shelter/WASH team.
- Ensure proper sensitisation of the community about the planned activities.
- Contribute to organisational learning through the provision specific of technical analysis, lessons learned and reports.
- Provide regular progress reports to the Shelter/WASH PM.
- Conduct regular visits to the field where NRC operates, ensuring high-quality implementation is undertaken on the ground.
- Lead the procurements of Shelter/WASH activities according to NRC’s policies and standards.
- Provide specific technical inputs to coordination mechanism (e.g. cluster coordination) and working groups when requested by the PM.
- Ensure a comprehensive proper documentation of all activities conducted by Shelter/WASH team.
- Closely cooperate with the other departments to ensure adequate planning and implementation of a coherent integrated programme in target areas in Northern Ukraine.
- Closely cooperate with other departments to address cross-cutting issues that might arise during the implementation of project activities.
- Support the line manager in drafting reports of any kind and contributing to proposals writing with development of work plan, budget, BoQs, list of activities, and any required technical inputs.
- Liaise with local government/community to advocate for NRC Shelter/WASH activities and to obtain required permissions for project implementation.
- Elaborate a Shelter/WASH strategy to meet all donor and project specific requirements as stipulated in the partnership agreements and general donor guidelines.
- Ensure capacity building initiatives are provided to Shelter/WASH team.
- Assist with any other duties assigned by line manager as and when required.
1. Professional competencies
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Education background in Engineering, particularly civil/construction engineering, or architecture.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience within construction works and/or shelter/WASH programming.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in people’s management.
- Minimum of upper-intermediate level of proficiency in English, both written and verbal.
- Technical specific knowledge on Shelter/WASH, ideally in the framework of humanitarian programs.
- Strong computer skills, specifically MS office and outlook.
- Good working knowledge and/or familiarity of the mandates and modalities of the international humanitarian sector including the UN cluster system.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and the ability to liaise authoritatively with figures from the humanitarian community, local media, local government, and other relevant actors, when required
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision and in compliance with basic security rules.
- Good understanding of humanitarian compliance vis-à-vis donors and accountability to donors and affected populations.
- Good external representation skills.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in Ukrainian and/or Russian is essential.
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful situations with respect for basic security rules.
- Knowledge of the Ukrainian building code and regulations is an advantage.
2. Behavioural competencies
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity.
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Managing performance and development.
- Planning and delivering results.
Type of contract: till 31.12.2023, contingent upon availability
Salary/benefits: According to NRC salary scale, terms and conditions.
Duty station: Kyiv
This position is for Ukrainian nationals only.
Closing date for this vacancy is 09.04.2023
Please note that we will contact only shortlisted candidates.
NRC retains the discretion to cancel the recruitment.
NRC might review applications before advert deadline, therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.