Job Posting: 23/Mar/2023
Closure Date: 07/Apr/2023, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: FNYAR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Yemen-Aden
Duration: 12 Months
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The position is based in FAO’s office in Aden, Yemen. FAO’s country offices, headed by an FAO Representative, aim to assist governments in developing policies, programs, and projects to achieve food security, reduce hunger and malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries, and forestry sectors and use their environmental and natural resources sustainably. The office is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing, and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture, and rural development priorities under Yemen and maintaining relationships with relevant Ministries at the country level.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, and the report to the Chief Technical Advisor for Water & Natural Resources Program.
Provide technical and capacity development leadership and contributes to identifying and piloting innovative initiatives in the area of efficient water management, planning, developing, and implementing infrastructure projects, related products, and services.
The incumbent will support evidence-based water resource management by developing methodologies, tools, analyses, knowledge products, and capacity building regarding water resource management in the project context.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Responsible for ensuring the effective implementation of all aspects of water and natural resources (WNR) projects implementation related to the rehabilitation/construction of infrastructure sites in Hadhramaut and Abyan Governorates.
• Supervise community-based water infrastructure construction/rehabilitation and improvement activities.
• Carry out site visits to monitor implementation activities and progress and suggest remedial measures to expedite the progress pace.
• Monitor the activities of implementing partners, conduct quality assurance tests, verify invoices, and prepare completion reports.
• Ensure that the delivered construction material are of approved quality, and proper documentation of quality clearances are in place.
• Ensure that all environmental compliance and safeguards measures are undertaken, and Grievance redress measures are in place.
• Ensure rehabilitation site pictures are taken to project pace of the rehabilitation activity.
• Ensure necessary tools and materials are available to implement the rehabilitation activity in a timely manner.
• Ensure Cash-for-Work activities are undertaken as per FAO standards.
• On completion of rehabilitation/ installation / construction activities, prepare a completion report duly signed by all the stakeholders including WUAs, Local councils, Local Authorities with proper pictures.
• Provide technical guidance to the FAO’s implementing partner (IP) and assist in the implementation of their activities related to water management and rehabilitation/construction of water/irrigation infrastructure.
• Prepares weekly and monthly progress reports, supervises FAO Field Engineers at the site, and assists in identifying new activities.
• Contribute to the preparation of progress and final reports,
• Conduct water conflict analysis, participate in the conflict resolution mechanism, and keep track/document the coordination process with concerned authorities.
• Additionally, they perform other related activities as advised.
• University degree in civil engineering, or Integrated Water Resources Management.
• At least five years of relevant experience in Cash for Work implementation modality.
• Strong technical expertise in rural projects mainly water harvesting/control and irrigation infrastructures.
• Working knowledge of English language.
• National of Yemen.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location.
• Extent and relevance of experience in project monitoring with intergovernmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
• Familiarity with UN system, procedures and operational activities.
• Extent of relevance of knowledge of water infrastructure construction management tools, methods and systems.
Selection Criteria/ Technical/Functional Skills
• Ability to work within a team of professional staff from diverse technical and cultural backgrounds,
• Demonstrated capacity to plan, advise and guide planning processes on water related issues,
• Demonstrated ability to implement a variety of analytical methodologies and techniques,
• Demonstrated ability to liaise with multiple agencies, effectively building an understanding and partnership with other UN bodies, NGOs, and governmental agencies,
• Previous experience with International Organizations,
• Ability to plan, organize, implement and report,
• Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT