Practice area(s): Environment
Location(s): Lima, Peru
Duration: Full-Time Employee
Hire Type(s): In-Country Applicant
Experience: 10+ Years
The USAID-funded Clean Cities Blue Ocean (CCBO) project in the USA, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development, is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Capacity Development and Governance Manager. This position will be located in Lima, Peru.
The Manager will work under the direction and guidance of the CCBO Country Director for Peru and will receive technical guidance from the Capacity Development and Governance Director (based in Washington, DC). The Manager will lead relevant activities in the CCBO Peru designated cities to improve existing local solid waste management and recycling systems through increased cooperation among local governments and stakeholders and the implementation of laws, policies, regulations.
* Provide support to the planning, implementing, and monitoring of all technical assistance and activities with the objective of reducing plastics in the engagement sites in Peru.
* Support mapping of public, private sector, and civil society actors at the national and local level and support in drafting local government´s legal requirements for implementation of 3R/SWM.
* Provide guidance to local government officials/staff to identify innovative service delivery models for improved efficiency, transparency, and monitoring of SWM and recycling systems.
* Coordinate with local stakeholders and provide oversight for conducting analyses of 3R/SWM laws and policies, enforcement practices and overall solid waste management capacity of engagement sites.
* Participate in drafting/review of country specific strategy documents and technical reports.
* Participate in field trips to site areas to monitor implementation of activities.
* Coordinate and assist in the development of materials and support logistics for program workshops/events and coordinate high-level national and international events related to 3R/SWM.
* Support in the promotion of reduce, reuse, and recycle practices and strengthen local and regional markets for recycled plastics.
* Act as technical coordinator for a grant and/or sub contract as required and maintain the highest standard of integrity and ensure compliance with all project procedures and processes in accordance with CCBO policies.
* Support Social and Behavioral Change-related activities, support public-private partnership related activities and support communication related activities.
* Coordinate technical activities with CCBO Peru Solid Waste Management Specialist and coordinate with USAID and other implementing partners operating in the site areas.
* Assist in introducing CCBO’s Local Government Solid Waste Capacity Index Assessment and undertake any other necessary tasks that the Country Director may assign.
* Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in a discipline related to government, environmental science, management/administration, city planning, international development, or related field.
* At least 10 years of experience working with or for local or central government in Peru, preferably in the environment or planning sectors.
* Understanding of municipal solid waste management policies and practices at the local government level and experience supporting or facilitating assessments, design, planning, operations/management and/or financing of 3Rs/SWM systems and collaboration with community-based actors.
* Demonstrated experience working on community participation and multiple stakeholders, including government, private sector, civil society and NGOs.
* At least 10 years of experience in leadership/advisory positions.
* Proven communication, conflict resolution, facilitation, and decision-making skills.
* Flexible approach for working individually as well as in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders.
* Fluent in English and Spanish.
* Ability to work under pressure and in teams.
* Public speaking competency.
* Capacity to adapt to changing scenarios.
* Proactive and resourcefulness.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and submit only the requested documentation as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 550 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees — 27,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.