Michael Baker International’s Water Group provides innovative consulting, planning and engineering solutions for the entire spectrum of the water cycle. We have proven experience in providing a full range of professional services from scientific and technical analysis, concept through design, and construction support services. Protection and management of water resources starts at the watershed level and follows the movement of water through urban and agricultural areas, streams, lakes and reservoirs, water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems, and water/wastewater treatment plants.
Assistant program/project manager to assist in management and execution of a large, long-term flood mitigation program. This position has the opportunity to work with an established client on ground-breaking work in the Chesapeake Bay watershed and with national Water practice leadership across Michael Baker International. Work involves a wide array of activities from management, design through construction, and public engagement with numerous opportunities for growth.
The candidate who fills this position will be called upon to:
Work closely with the Program Manager and assist in overall management, coordination, and execution of the Program and other work
Direct and manage tasks and/or other staff and sub-consultants on efficient project execution including adherence to project scopes, budgets and schedules to ensure Baker project management and quality standards are maintained
Assist in developing detailed scopes of work and associated cost estimates, staffing requirements, schedule, coordination with sub-consultants, and overall program standards
Communicate with clients on project status including budget tracking and monthly invoicing activities with status reports to ensure client satisfaction as well to obtain follow-on work.
Assist with public engagement efforts, such as open house meetings, and development of materials to support public involvement such as presentations, brochures, and exhibits.
Lead, provide technical support to and/or oversee staff on projects in the areas of stormwater management, drainage and associated stormwater structure design, general civil engineering, sediment and erosion control, TMDL implementation planning, Low Impact Development best management practices design, compliance with state and federal environmental requirements and sustainability
Provide oversight to staff producing engineering reports and technical memoranda, design calculations, drawings, and specifications for stormwater conveyance systems, detention basins/storage facilities, pump stations, public utility replacements, etc., study methodology and results and provide recommendations based on findings
Develop proposals that present qualifications, approaches for accomplishing projects and funding limitations
Plan for and participate in field activities to compile data necessary for design, modeling, and/or reporting on environmental compliance
Coordinate with the state and federal regulatory agencies on regulatory requirements
Develop and/or review report narratives, tables, exhibits, and graphics summarizing results of studies or analyses for a variety of different audiences
• Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a focus on civil/water resources and/or environmental engineering – Master’s degree is a plus
• Have a demonstrated history of project management, technical leadership, and independent success
• Be energetic, motivated, organized, a team player, and have excellent writing and verbal communication skills
• Possess a PE (and/or be able to obtain a reciprocal Virginia P.E. license immediately)
• Have approximately 10-15+ years of practical experience in civil engineering and experience in project/program management which includes:
– Successful contribution on technical projects within multidisciplinary teams
– Experience providing oversight of staff and/or subcontractors as part of managing tasks or projects to ensure adherence to schedule and budget restrictions
– Experience in designing storm drain systems in coastal areas and/or areas that are tidally influenced a plus
– Experience in public utility design and replacements also a plus
– Experience/familiarity with Stormwater Quality Requirements and Management Plans a plus