RTI International’s Center for Water Resources (CWR) is looking for an experienced Water Resources Scientist/Water Quality Modeler to lead and support a variety of water resources modeling efforts including planning studies, operational implementation, and research projects. This position may contribute to CWR‘s projects involving water supply planning, water quality modeling and management, climate impacts analysis, hydrologic forecasting and evaluation, water quality forecasting, reservoir water quality modeling, and others. The ideal candidate will have strong technical and communication skills, with a broad understanding of water resources challenges. The candidate should have the ability to contribute to all aspects of CWR projects, including data collection and analysis, geospatial analysis, modeling, system integration, platform development and maintenance, project management and leadership, proposal development, client communication and management, and stakeholder engagement and training.
The position will be based in RTP, North Carolina or Fort Collins, CO but telecommuting is an option. Please apply if you have expertise related to these requirements (experience related to all is not necessary). If you are adept at devising, executing and leading projects involving modeling and analysis for solutions to complex water resources challenges then you can be a valuable contributor to CWR’s mission of improving the human condition by protecting water resources around the world. We implement the best and most appropriate solutions for our clients, so our staff are well versed in multiple models and modeling systems. As a non-profit research institute, RTI also offers opportunities for internally funded research and development to help bring great ideas together for on-the-ground applications to help make a difference in the world.
Desired general experiences or exposures through work experience include hydrologic, water quality and reservoir model set up, calibration, and assessment/interpretation; spatial, time series, and generalized data collection, organization, analysis, quality assurance, and interpretation; project documentation and report writing; technical presentations and stakeholder training.
In particular, the successful candidate must demonstrate the following:
· Experience with hydrologic and water quality simulation models such as WARMF, QUAL2K/2E, SWAT, and GWLF
· Ability to interpret and explain complex model results to diverse audiences and experience conducting training in model setup and use for stakeholders
· Experience performing point and non-point source TMDL, or similar, analyses
· Use of open-source programming language (i.e., Python, R, C# or VB(.NET)) to perform data management, transformation, quality control, statistical and scientific analyses, and/or graphical user interface development
· Use of ArcGIS or QGIS to perform geospatial processing, analysis, and data visualization
In addition, the candidate must also have the following general talents:
· A positive and collaborative mindset while working on multiple projects in a team environment with diverse staff of project managers, hydrologists, engineers, scientists, economists, and IT developers
· Willingness to contribute to a range of CWR activities, including technical project execution, project management, client management and business development
· The ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing to diverse audiences
· A willingness to learn new software, technology and/or programming languages and apply as a project requires, including self-led tutorials and exploration.
· Capacity to devise new technical approaches for projects based on an existing depth of knowledge and/or capacity gain knowledge through research
· The ability and desire to adapt applicable methods and principles from past experiences to current RTI project needs.
Required qualifications include:
· Master’s Degree and 10 years of experience, a bachelor’s degree and 12 years of experience or Ph.D and 6 year of experience in Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, or related field with emphasis in Water Resources
· Domestic and international travel flexibility is a plus
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
“Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.”
EEO & Pay Equity Statements
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach and one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.
For USA Job Postings Only: RTI participates in the US Government E-Verify program. Further information regarding the E-Verify program and laws that are designed to protect you against discrimination relating to your legal right to work in the US can be found here.
For San Francisco, CA USA Job Postings Only: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Further information is available here.
The anticipated pay range for this role is listed below. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for all parents, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.
Hiring Salary Range
$110,000 – $134,000