Who we’re looking for: We are seeking an experienced and talented communications strategist and writer to join our Communications Services Team.
Location: Home (UK only) or office-based in South London.
Qualifications: Candidates must be educated to degree level. A post-graduate qualification in a subject area relevant to our work is desirable.
Experience: We are looking for an experienced communications strategist and writer with a background in sustainable development, science or health communications.
Salary: £35,000–£38,000 (depending on experience), full-time (40 hours/week).
Criteria for selection and details of how to apply can be found below.
Why work at Scriptoria
As a communications strategist and writer at Scriptoria you’ll join a friendly and ambitious team of experts. We regularly work with the world’s leading organisations in fields such as agriculture, water resources, climate change and health, among many others. The ability to work with organisations covering such differing subject areas is a crucial part of the role and what we believe makes it so interesting!
Other benefits of working at Scriptoria include:
- Salary: Annual gross salary of £35,000–£38,000 per year, depending on experience, paid monthly.
- Location and hours: Flexibility to work from home (UK only) or office-based in South London. Our standard working hours are 8.30am to 5.30pm every day with one hour for lunch (1pm to 2pm).
- Annual leave: 33 days’ holiday pro-rata in each complete calendar year including statutory and public holidays.
- Sick pay: Up to 5 days’ paid sick leave per year, after which the UK government’s Statutory Sick Pay scheme will apply.
- Pension: Pension contributions: 3% employer’s and 5% employee’s contribution (employees can contribute more if they wish).
- Developing communications, campaign and event strategies – you will develop strategies and implementation plans to help organisations define their objectives and translate them into achievable outcomes.
- Implementing strategies – you will lead or support the implementation of communications strategies and plans for clients, working collaboratively with their teams.
- Writing – you will write (and edit) copy for a wide range of materials and subject areas.
- Providing advice on communications materials – you will advise clients and team members on communications materials to best meet clients’ needs, choosing the right communications method and approach for a particular message, context and audience.
- Liaising with clients and Scriptoria’s project managers to agree briefs – you will be involved in the concept development of communications products and will write or contribute to briefs to ensure they meet clients’ needs.
- Ensuring quality standards, schedules and costs are met – you will be trusted to manage your own projects, liaise with clients and ensure that all work is delivered on time and to budget.
Criteria for selection
- A track record developing communications, campaign and event strategies, and advising clients on their implementation.
- Experience in presenting to groups and facilitating workshops. Enthusiasm to travel would be a big advantage.
- Extensive experience as a writer in the areas of sustainable development, science or health, with a demonstrated flair for writing compelling, engaging text that effectively communicates key messages.
- A proven ability to develop and work to a brief, analyse and synthesise source materials and convey complex and technical information to non-specialist audiences.
- Excellent attention to detail, and the ability to copyedit and proofread documents.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and cope flexibly with a range of jobs to meet (and exceed) client expectations.
Please send the following to Cathy Jacob at: email@example.com
- CV and one-page cover letter. In your cover letter please (1) explain briefly why you would like to work for Scriptoria and why you think you are the kind of person we are looking for; and (2) outline how you meet the criteria for the job, making clear reference to the numbered list above. Please include examples of your most relevant experience, using specific examples wherever possible.
- Two recent examples of your writing on sustainable development, science or health issues.
- A statement of when you would be available to start work and where you saw this job advertised.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 12 March
Please note: We anticipate a high level of interest in this position and will shortlist and interview once a sufficient number of applications are received; we therefore recommend submitting your application early. We are unfortunately not in a position to respond to all applications; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Click here to download the job description
Scriptoria Sustainable Development Solutions is a world-leading team of communications, knowledge management and data analysis specialists with expertise in international development, research, science and health. The company comprises four service-delivery teams: Consulting, Data, Communications and Training.
Founded in 2001, we work with government agencies, donor-funded programmes, NGOs, academic institutions and private sector initiatives to help them manage their international development projects, capture information accurately and communicate results effectively to stakeholders.
We’re a growing, dynamic and welcoming team, who place great value in working collaboratively and learning from each other. We all have a passion for making a difference in the world, excelling in our service to clients, and producing content of the highest quality.