Reports to: Director of Infrastructure Advisory Services
Location: Peru / Remote within the region
1 in 10 people around the world lack access to safe water and 1 in 4 people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empower a bright future that we can all share, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
Water.org is an international non-profit that specializes in correcting market failures in the water and sanitation sector. WaterEquity is the first-ever asset manager dedicated to mobilizing private sector investments to accelerate universal access to water and sanitation in emerging and frontier markets.
Water.org and WaterEquity have established an asset origination alliance (AOA) to align the market building activities of Water.org and the investment activities of WaterEquity to:
- Strengthen and expand investment opportunities;
- Pursue closer integration of the businesses over time; and
- Build Water.org’s broader capacity to facilitate investments in the sector.
Water.org is seeking a Regional Lead, Infrastructure Services, Latin America to support the growth of the advisory services practice in the region designed to bolster private sector participation in emerging markets WSS infrastructure development and operations, and to strengthen and expand related investment opportunities for Water.org’s asset management affiliate, WaterEquity.
Infrastructure Services forms part of WaterEquity’s strategy to invest in the Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS) infrastructure sector. Together with other functions within the asset origination alliance it is one of the main pillars toward achievements of WaterEquity’s investment objectives on return and impact whilst meeting compliance requirements. Infrastructure Services are expected to help expand and strengthen opportunities pipeline for investment while also bolstering Water.org’s long-term capacity to cultivate investment opportunities.
The Regional Lead, Infrastructure Services, Latin America within the Infrastructure Advisory Services department is primarily responsible for leading the identification and generation of WSS infrastructure services and investment opportunities in the region, management of implementation and delivery of infrastructure services in the form of technical assistance in project development and policy advisory, both directly and through third-party service providers in Latin America.
Working closely with multiple functions of the organization, particularly the WaterEquity investment team, this individual will drive complex projects while anticipating issues, recognizing risks, considering alternatives, and supporting long-range goals, including executing the strategy and innovating various solutions to meet the unique, local demand from target markets in the region.
The Regional Lead, Infrastructure Services, Latin America is part of a growing team of infrastructure advisory services and investment professionals, and is responsible for:
Infrastructure Services and Technical Assistance Management and Delivery (40%)
- Responsible for delivery of infrastructure services in the form of technical assistance, including coordinating third-party service providers and/or vendors, preparation of project and legal requirements and scopes of work/terms of reference, and selection of third-party service providers and/or vendors.
- Ensures third-party deliverables meet goals in terms of results and timelines and, escalating recommendations to the appropriate authority.
- Drive implementation, working with other team members within the organizations and related stakeholders to evaluate frameworks, service design, and models that support the deployment of infrastructure services.
- Ensure accurate, timely reporting on project progress, risks and related KPIs for services provided.
Business and Project Development (30%)
- In collaboration with Head of Project Development and Advisory performs business development and project development activities – identification, development of climate resilience infrastructure investment and services opportunities in water supply and sanitation sector.
- Screening and due diligence of potential partners and projects.
- Provide input and support investment decisions – evaluation and appraisal of infrastructure service provisions and investments.
Infrastructure Policy and Regulations Management (30%)
- In collaboration with Head of Infrastructure Policy and Regulation, identify major policies and regulations related to climate resilient water supply and sanitation infrastructure and utilities in the target markets. Disseminate this information to a broad internal audience and key stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities to improve WSS infrastructure policy and regulations to promote private sector participation, private investment, and climate resilience.
- Support infrastructure policy and regulations advocacy through oversight of in-country third-party service delivery and collaboration with partners such as multilateral development banks.
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project.
- Future management responsibility will include supervision of in-country teams to deliver the infrastructure services to projects and corporates.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Financial Acumen – Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Cultivates Innovation – Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Manages Complexity – Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Business Insight – Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals.
- Builds Networks – Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization with partners, donors, and complimentary peers and organizations.
- Strategic Mindset – Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Being Resilient – Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Courage – Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Communicates Effectively – Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and/or equivalent related work experience
- Twelve or more years of progressive responsibility and experience in Water Supply and Sanitation private sector participation, utilities/infrastructure project/business development, or management consultancy working on infrastructure development or water utilities in Latin America, including:
- Proven track record of business development, projects and/or business contracts in emerging markets, including high degree of commercial awareness and business acumen as well as demonstrable success in developing and fostering key relationships and networks, including client and stakeholder management
- Deep knowledge of private sector participation in the water supply and sanitation sector and advanced understanding of Public-Private Partnership (PPP)-schemes and modalities, such as DBFOT, BOOT, HAM, and concessions.
- At least five years of experience leading development or implementation of infrastructure projects and advanced proficiency in the project life-cycle from ,concept to commercial operations and infrastructure project procurement models including strong track record of utilizing third party service providers and/or similar models.
- General understanding of infrastructure policy and regulations in emerging markets.
- Understanding of infrastructure investment and project appraisal.
- Self-driven & proactive problem-solver to drive strong alignment of plans and priorities across projects and initiative in line with strategy and established business metrics.
- Multi-country experience in the Latin American Region.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and environmental impact and a willingness to do the work to drive our mission.
- Proficient (written and verbal) in English and regional language(s), as applicable.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Twenty or more years total experience.
- Track record of supporting/enabling private sector investments in emerging market infrastructure, which have reached financial close.
- Familiarity with WSS policy environments in emerging markets.
Up to 20% of regional and domestic travel.
Being authorized to work in the country posted is a precondition of employment.
Salary and Benefits
This position offers country-specific benefits and market-based, competitive salary; as well as periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We strive to build and maintain a diverse team that will advance our mission and work and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Join our team
To apply for the Regional Infrastructure Services Lead, Latin America position, please fill out our questionnaire and submit your resume.