- Job number: SRH05077
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Mozambique
- Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION
Posted on: 24/11/2022
Desired start date: 01/01/2023
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Mueda, Mozambique
Solidarités International intervened in Mozambique in March 2019 for a few months following the passage of Cyclone Idai, which hit the Province of Sofala and the city of Beira hard. Operations were suspended after the emergency phase and the mission closed. The evolution of the situation in Cabo Delgado province, hit by several cyclones and severely affected by the violent actions of armed groups claiming to be IS, which caused the displacement of nearly 700 000 people, led to an assessment in May 2021 and to the reopening of the mission.
A first base was opened in Mueda with a classic base set up (Field Coordinator, Administrative Manager, Logistics Manager and Program Manager) with the implementation of a first WaSH project (UNICEF 350kUSD on going, Start Fund 162kGBP closed).
Solidarites International was one of the first INGO actors to respond to the growing crisis in Cabo Delgado, leading emergency response and distributions in hard-to-reach areas. SI has completed its opening phase, and diversified its activities in 2022. A new field base (in Palma) is opening and multiple new projects are opening.
In 2021, Solidarites International developed a WASH response in Mueda Districts complemented by an emergency response to provide survival kits to newly displaced families. The WASH programs are focusing on in one hand supporting IDPs sites by providing water, sanitation and hygiene solution rapidly through emergency solution, and on the other hand working to improve the water network of the city in a more sustainable approach. SI also implemented a limited Shelter/NFI response in displacement sites in Mueda.
Since 2021, SI carried out WASH emergency activities thanks to the Start fund, UNICEF and SDC fundings to respond to the humanitarian needs of in and out of camp IDPs, as well as host communities. SI also developed a strong shelter/NFI component with UNHCR funds in the country, mainly in IDPs sites, and has expanded its support to the affected population with general food distribution in Nangade in the past months (WFP funds). This expertise led SI to implement emergency NFI distributions as well as more sustainable shelter responses to respond to the needs of the populations living in the relocation camps.
In 2022, mission expanded into integrated, multi-sectorial programming including: NFI, CCCM, Shelter, Food, WASH, RRM and Livelihoods. This scale up in terms of sectors is also reflected in term of geography, with new areas of interventions such as Palma, Muindumbe, Nangade, and all other new accessible areas in the province.
ABOUT THE JOB
- General objectives
The WaSH program manager (PM) is responsible for implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the operation proposals. She/he is responsible for overseeing operational teams assigned to the program, and guarantees the good performance and the quality of the program(s) WASH implemented, and, where appropriate, proposes adjustments or developments to ensure relevance
- Specific stakes and challenges
- Implement WaSH assessments in hard-to-reach areas or after an alert raised by RRM team
- Develop WaSH emergency activities in new areas
- Manage, follow up and supervise programs in a wide geographical area
- Develop and implement a sound hygiene promotion methodology
- Ensure rapid implementation of emergency solution after prioritization of needs
- Engage closely with CCCM PM in order to identify gaps within the different IDPs sites
- Ensure rehabilitation of water network in collaboration with authorities and companies in charge of the water supply in Mozambique (FIPAG, SDIP, DPOP etc.)
- Ensure sustainable WaSH solutions devlopment and implementation after prioritization of emergency needs
- Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
Population movements in and out areas (IDPs, returnees, pendular movement) that hinder the estimation of the population served by a given water supply infrastructure at a given time;
- With support of the deputy field coordinator for programs ensure training and capacity building of the team
- Implement and follow up of on-going WaSH activities
- Update hygiene promotion strategy in order to enhance this component and the quality of HP interventions
- Guarantee quality and monitoring of all activities and program implementation according humanitarian and SI standards.
- Set up and follow up project management tools.
- Lead SI provincial sub-WaSH Cluster
The WaSH program manager will directly manage a team of national staff; the size is dependent on funding but will range between 10 to 15 people. The national team will have to continue to be trained, finding staff with emergency experience is not obvious in Mozambique. Finding local qualified staff is also a challenge meaning some staff come from other parts of Mozambique and do not know the context nor speak the local languages.
- Education: WaSH engineering educative background
- At least two years of experience as program manager in humanitarian environments or similar field position
- At least one experience working in sensitive context / hard to reach area
- Experience in a management position in an overseas NGO environment, ideally in both emergency and developmental contexts;
- Skills in WaSH emergency response;
- Proven skills in hygiene promotion approaches development
- Experience in capacity buildings of teams;
- Experience of budget management
- Experience in Mozambique is an asset
- Technical skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge about project cycle management and monitoring tools
- An ability to analyze information quickly and accurately
- Good problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office, Excel
- Extensive report writing skills in English
- Languages: Portuguese or Spanish is an asset / English is mandatory.
- Other desirable qualities: leadership and management / coordination with partners / planning and prioritization / flexibility / capacity to work under stress / solution making oriented / Team player
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1800 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 750 USD
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/