The Chair of Applied Geology at GeoZentrum Nordbayern, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, is offering
A PhD Position in Aqueous Geochemistry on the Danube River
For an interdisciplinary environmental EU project, we seek a highly motivated candidate to work on aqueous chemistry and stable isotopes (carbon, water, oxygen) in the Danube Basin. Studies will take place on the Danube River, adjacent streams and groundwater systems. The project is travel-intensive and field work will be arranged in interdisciplinary team work with other groups from chemistry, biology and other disciplines as well as with consultants and environmental agencies across Europe.
Parameters of investigation include dissolved and particulate carbon with their stable isotopes together with major ions and trace elements and links to the aqueous oxygen cycle. Ideally, analytical results should also be evaluated with GIS methods. The work involves determination of sources and sinks of carbon budgets in the aquatic phase, as well as their links to the atmosphere. Investigations will also characterize local and catchment-wide water balances with the help of stable isotopes.
- Participation in a top environmental & interdisciplinary research project with focus on aqueous geochemistry stable isotopes
- A vibrant academic and international environment for work and study
- Insights and involvement in other research projects in Sri Lanka, Vietnam, regional spring studies and German water isotope balances
- Well-equipped stable isotope and geochemical laboratories for measurement of dissolved and particulate carbon phases (DIC, DOC, POC and CO2) dissolved oxygen and water isotopes accomplished by major ion and trace elements, with best possible training facilities
- Master degree, or equivalent
- Interest in natural sciences (geochemistry, biology and chemistry or physics)
- Willingness to carry out fieldwork and interest in GIS techniques
- Ability to independently develop and perform experimental field and laboratory approaches
- Enthusiasm for scientific writing
- Scientific results are expected to be published in international journals as a team effort with the PhD candidate as first author
- The candidate should also present results on international conferences
- A valid EU driver´s licence (B) would be an advantage
- Good command of English and if possible other European languages
We envisage a starting date in February or March 2023. The salary for the PhD position is TVL E13 up to 65 % for 3 years with evaluation after the first year. The position covers health and social security benefits.
Please address applications (cover letter, motivation statement, CV, academic transcripts & certificates, possible publication list and contact details of referees in one coherent PDF file) in English to email@example.com before 10th of January 2023.