Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in 120 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you’ve come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000053086
- Location: Yumbe
- Assignment period: 03/01/2023 – 12/31/2024
- Field: Peace, Security and Emergency
- Type of employment: full-time
- Application deadline: 01/17/2023
The programme “Water and Sanitation for Refugee Settlements and Host Communities in Northern Uganda” is being implemented as part of the German government’s Special Initiative on Forced Displacement. The programme is located at the intersection of humanitarian and development work and targets both refugee and host communities. The goal of the programme is to ensure sustainable water and sanitation in selected refugee settlements and host communities by supporting the transition from humanitarian-led water supply to national service providers (utilities). The main implementing partner is the Ministry of Water and Environment. Implementation is taking place in four refugee-hosting districts and nine sub-counties. To improve the current data situation and monitoring of drinking water supply for refugees and host communities, the capacity and data collection of municipal and sub-district staff (especially from the water and planning departments) will be strengthened.
As part of your service as a development worker, you will take on the following tasks:
- Advising the water offices on coordination and monitoring processes
- Strengthening the competencies of the staff in the two communities
- Advising the municipalities and sub-districts on integrating water-related concerns of refugee settlements into development and work plans.
- Consulting and training in the collection of water specific data.
- Support the flow of information between the water office and the operator NUWS from the local level to the national level
- Close coordination with UNHCR and NGOs.
- Close collaboration with the GFA consulting team and other thematic outputs of the WatSSUP programme
- University degree (diploma/BA/MA/MSC) in social or political sciences,
- or comparable education, or practical work experience in the water sector and/or humanitarian context.
- Several years of professional experience in consulting and networking.
- Working experience in developing countries, particularly in Eastern Africa.
- High frustration tolerance and experience in working in intercultural teams.
- Pro-active communication style to stay in regular exchange with colleagues in other locations.
- High inter- and socio-cultural sensitivity
- Fluency in English; German language skills desirable
Yumbe District is one of the northernmost districts in Uganda. The district borders South Sudan to the north. The district headquarters in Yumbe is located about 75 km north of Arua, the largest city in the West Nile Region. Uganda is a malaria region. Yumbe has tropical weather, wet or dry depending on the rainy season. In winter there is a dry season. Daily necessities can be found in Arua or in the capital Kampala. Medical care in Yumbe is limited. Medical care on an international level is also limited in the capital Kampala.
The security situation requires increased vigilance. Special precautionary measures are in place for GIZ staff on site. GIZ security measures must be followed at all times. Please also obtain country-specific information from the German Foreign Office. GIZ has a professional security risk management on site. In some cases, there may be restrictions on freedom of movement that are specific to the working environment. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on the departure of family members. We kindly ask you to find out which forms of relationship are legally and socially accepted in the country of assignment.
For further information on country-specific advice from the German Foreign Office, please visit https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/
At the site of operation, the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel on a regular basis is required.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment – please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment – in particular also regarding COVID-19.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
The basis for service as a development worker is the Development Workers Act (EhfG) and a comprehensive package of benefits based on it. This includes, among other things, targeted professional and personal preparation. We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative, globally active development institution. Your competencies are in demand in an interdisciplinary team on site.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.