Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects.
Following an exciting and very successful expansion of our International portfolio, the Infrastructure division is seeking to appoint an Associate – International Wastewater to join our Water Sector focussed team (Location flexible).
The role will sit within the Asset Planning & Solutions practice of the Atkins Infrastructure division. The role would suit a wastewater / network expert who enjoys taking ownership of projects, managing teams and mentoring staff to help deliver successful projects and further expand our stormwater drainage capability. The role will require some international travel, working in either an Atkins’ overseas office or client’s offices, with the potential for short term secondments. This role offers excellent opportunities for career development and training for the right candidate. If you have a passion for sustainable water engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead to then we would like to hear from you.
The services we offer to our clients require us to be able to deliver in an agile and future-facing environment. The following are therefore examples of the type of responsibilities and requirements we seek / need you to have, working as part of our dynamic multidisciplinary utility consultancy and advisory team.
- Lead on project delivery across international project lifecycles: masterplans, strategic and feasibility studies, front-end to concept design and construction support.
- Lead on work winning through bid management; production of proposals, fees, scope definition, and quality answers in response to client tenders, in accordance with Akins’ bid management system.
- Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary environment across teams Worldwide, including the UK, Middle East, India and US, to ensure successful delivery of projects.
- Lead the efficient delivery of projects to meet programme and budget, complying with Atkins’ business management systems.
- Advise and support design teams in the integration of sustainable wastewater infrastructure design concepts for masterplans and feasibility studies focussing on demand calculations, circular economy principles, alternative water reuse, treatment requirements, sustainable wastewater network elements.
- Produce and review conceptual designs, drawings and report writing to support sustainable integrated designs of masterplans and feasibility studies.
- Lead on the quality and safe design of technical solutions for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes, with a drive for shaping projects and masterplans towards a Net Zero Water framework.
- Champion the application of digital initiatives and innovative advances in water sector solutions.
- Mentoring and line management responsibilities for team members from graduates to less experienced senior team members.
- Knowledge of the water environment and sustainability and desire to apply your skills to the challenges the water environment faces
- A natural curiosity for developing innovative, sustainable, and cost-effective solutions for our clients
- Extensive hands-on experience of project and bid delivery and leadership in the wastewater sector Worldwide (UK and Middle East region particularly), and the ability to respect and work well with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in wastewater planning / large scale masterplans and sustainable urban development – overseas experience would be an advantage.
- Member of a recognised professional body (ICE or CIWEM).
- A strong technical wastewater background at strategic masterplanning scale including knowledge of relevant UK and international codes and standards, for water and wastewater infrastructure and / or non-infrastructure assets.
- Experience of working with hydraulic and hydrological models, including GIS software and industry standard design packages
- Highly motivated, organised and with a strong desire to promote technical excellence within project teams and wider Atkins team/practice.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently within a multidisciplinary team including with Clients, Contractors and colleagues alike.
- Track record of innovation in the water sector – digital advances, circular water principles, low carbon, new materials, prefabrication etc.
- Flexible approach to work type and locations for project assignments, with a willingness to travel on short or long-term overseas assignments is essential.
- Proven track record in coordinating and delivering technically excellent projects on time and budget.
The national Asset Planning & Solutions practice within Atkins SNC-Lavalin Infrastructure division includes a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team with a varied and extensive global portfolio of projects. Our local teams incorporate expert modellers, process, mechanical, electrical and civil engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our technical networks, you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
#LI-INFRASTRUCTURE | #LI-UK | #LI-ATKINS #APS