Job Description and Requirements
SCOPE OF WORK (SOW)
TITLE: Terms of Reference: Emergency Management Specialist
- PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE: Jan 2, 2023 – April 30, 2023
The Water Governance Activity (WGA) program is a multi-year project funded by USAID, which aims to support the Government of Jordan (GoJ) to achieve measurable improvements and greater sustainability of the water sector by providing technical assistance to strengthen the GoJ’s reform, policy development and implementation, and capacity-building efforts. WGA will support the following objectives: support the GoJ to define and resolve water sector strategy and policy issues; improve water entities’ performance by reducing network losses, increasing conveyance efficiencies, and improving utility cost recovery; and specific, cross-cutting objectives related to support to gender, youth, persons with disabilities (PWD), and private sector engagement.
- DETAILED RESPONSIBILITIES
The Emergency Management Specialist will work closely with the WGA team, the Ministry of Water and Irrigation (MWI), the Water Authority of Jordan (WAJ), the Jordan Valley Authority (JVA), and the Water Utilities to provide the technical assistance required to enhance the water sector capacity to manage disease outbreaks.
WGA is seeking a qualified specialist to review the water-related COVID-19 response plans, discuss key findings, and make recommendations for improvements. The specialist will also review and update the MWI Pandemic Response Plan to cover all entities withing the sector and test it across the sector.
S/He will be responsible for the following:
- Review and update MWI Pandemic Response Plan to cover all entities within the sector and test across the sector.
- Present key findings and recommendations for the water sector.
- Support the process of getting approval from the sector on the recommended updates.
- Train staff in various entities on performing response actions.
- Address lessons learned from the sector’s experience dealing with COVID-19 outbreak.
- Prepare an assessment report on the water sector entity’s capacity to work remotely.
- Minimum a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as, civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical engineering, water management, public administration, (specifically related to emergency management and response planning), etc. Advanced degree or a professional certificate in relevant fields is a plus.
- At least 5 years of work experience related to emergency management.
- Demonstrated good capacity in developing emergency response plans and risk mitigations measures. Experience in the water sector is preferred.
- Familiar with operational and administrative schemes within Jordan’s water sector is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and coordinate closely with government staff and build the capacity of counterparts.
- Demonstrate capacity to train staff from various entities on performing response actions. Similar training for water sector staff is preferred.
- Fluency in Arabic and excellent speaking, reading, and writing in English, including the ability to develop written documents/reports in English.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- LEVEL OF EFFORT
The total Level of Effort contemplated for this assignment is up to 40 working days.
- LOCATION OF ASSIGNMENT
This assignment is to be conducted in Amman, Jordan with some travels to the different governorates as needed.
Deliverables under this work scope will include:
|Allocated LOE (up to working days)
|Findings and recommendations presented to the water sector.
|Documentation of the feedback meetings and other emerging working group meetings with concerned stakeholders to get their endorsement of the suggested amendments. Proposed amendments are approved
|Jan 15, 2023
|Draft Updated MWI Pandemic Response Plan
|The draft updated MWI pandemic response plan will include lessons learned, challenges and mitigations, key findings, and recommendations for enhancing future response to disease outbreaks within the various entities in the water sector including MWI, WAJ, JVA, Water Utilities, etc. The plan must include KPI to monitor the sector’s capabilities.
|Feb 15, 2023
|Final Updated MWI Pandemic Response Plan
|After reaching an agreement with all stakeholders on the suggested amendments, the MWI Pandemic Response Plan will be finalized accordingly.
|March 10, 2023
|Emergency training plan
|Assess the water sector employees’ training needs and develop a training plan for execution
|April 1, 2023
|MWI Pandemic Response Plan is tested
|The final Pandemic Response Plan must be tested across the water sector entities.
|April 15, 2023
|Assessment Reports on Water Sector to Telework
|Assessment report on water sector entities and staff capacity to telework and recommendations to enhance the performance of the sector when during disease outbreaks.
|April 30 1, 2023
* The dates of these deliverables are tentative subject to when comments are received from the counterparts and the amount of work needed to finalize the documents
The position holder will directly report to the Special Projects Expert.