Job Title: Physical Sciences Undergraduate Internship Program
Location: Los Alamos, NM, US
Organization Name: Various Organizations
When applying, candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and their most recent transcripts (or an acceptance letter if transcripts have not been issued).
Important: Applicants who fail to submit the three required application documents (resume, cover letter, transcript) will not be considered for employment. Cover letters are most effective when they clearly indicate your research interests and highlight your most noteworthy achievements and accomplishments. Your cover letter should also explain how you have demonstrated the application of desired knowledge and skills in your previous academic and work experiences.
What You Will Do
Do something that matters and make a real difference at one of the World’s most prestigious and innovative multidisciplinary research institutions.
The Physical Sciences Undergraduate Student (UGS) Program offers paid summer and year-round internships for undergraduate students in a variety of Physical Science disciplines. The program provides mentoring, hands-on technical experience, and professional development opportunities through a formalized work plan complementing the student’s chosen area of study.
Examples of LANL projects in Physical Science include, but are not limited to:
- Modeling and laboratory experiments related to the long-term storage of high-level nuclear waste in a salt repository;
- Automated ultrasound data acquisition and analysis;
- Using neutrinos and neutrons to probe the fundamental laws that govern the evolution of the universe;
- Modeling complex fluid dynamics in a variety of physical settings;
- Ultrafast optical experiments involving quantum materials;
- Analysis of data acquired using the ChemCam instrument currently deployed on the NASA Curiosity rover;
- Modeling neutron scattering and yield within systems involving extreme temperature and pressure conditions; and
- Using biophysical techniques to interrogate soft matter nanoscale structures.
What You Need
- Currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate program in any Physical Science discipline. Examples of physical science disciplines in greatest demand include: Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Hydrology, Geology, Geophysics, Materials, and Physics).
- Must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours (or full-time equivalent). Entering college freshmen must provide documentation indicating matriculation into an undergraduate degree program.
- Must currently have and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent),
Student selected for UGS internships in Physical Sciences are most competitive when they possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Computer programming in support of scientific data acquisition or analysis;
- Experimental techniques currently used within your selected specific scientific field(s);
- Laboratory experience demonstrating an attention to detail and commitment to safety;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (verbal and written) well in a professional scientific context; and
- Commitment to achieving results in a complex social and organizational setting.
Notes to Applicants: The application and required documents must be submitted by March 31, 2023.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
U.S. Citizenship: Many Laboratory positions will require or eventually require a security clearance, which typically requires U.S. Citizenship to obtain, except in extremely limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
New-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a new-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
For general program information refer to the Student Programs web page at https://www.lanl.gov/careers/career-options/student-internships/index.php.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
Instructions on How to Activate/Create a LANL Jobs Account:
Follow the instructions below if you have ever had an employee Z number, been a contractor, or received Los Alamos Lab insurance coverage to activate your account:
· Select the Click Here button if you have been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage.
· Please enter only your first and last name and current email address (an email with your validation code will be sent to you) to activate the account currently in our system.
· Enter your validation code as described in the email you receive and complete the 3-page registration form. Your account is now active and you can apply for jobs or save to your basket. Important: Enter the validation code within 15 days to activate your account or your account will be deactivated.
Follow the instructions below if you if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to create an account:
· Select the Register button if you have never been employed with the Lab or received insurance coverage to Create an Account.
· From here, you will establish an account with username and password.
How to Apply: Login to Your Account to Complete the Application Process
· Click the Vacancy Name number (in blue) to view any job’s details.
· Click Apply or Add to Basket to apply later. Tip: To apply for a job or save your basket, you must have a LANL jobs account.
If you experience any technical issues, please email email@example.com for assistance.