We are currently seeking a Policy Analyst and Adaptation Expert to support and expand our policy analysis team. The successful applicant will mainly be working in a project to support countries in developing world to initiate and conduct a science-based National Adaptation Plan (NAP) process and support analysis for projects on adaptation related issues. A special focus will be placed on francophone sub-Saharan Africa. In addition, the position will support the global and regional Climate Analytics teams in other projects, according to skills and needs. The position is based in our office in Lomé, Togo and will require frequent travels to countries in the francophone sub-Saharan region and occasional visits to the head office in Berlin, Germany.
About Climate Analytics
Climate Analytics is a non-profit organisation, established in 2008. Our headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany, with offices in New York, USA and Lomé, Togo, and with staff and associates across Europe, South America, Australia, Africa and Asia. The organisation’s main mission is to synthesise and advance scientific knowledge in the area of climate change.
Climate Analytics is a team of scientists and policy analysts with long experience in the international climate change debate. The team is backed by its own and co-developed science-based models to assess and synthesise climate science. By linking scientific and policy analysis, we provide state-of-the-art solutions to global and national climate change policy challenges. Through its unique position at the interface between science, policy and practice, and with its excellent international networks, Climate Analytics provides an exciting working environment with exceptional opportunities for the professional and personal development of each employee.
- Support Adaptation planning and identification of strategies for the implementation of adaptation measures in developing countries, providing analysis and policy support to governmental departments and representatives, and other stakeholders including from the scientific and research community and civil society organizations,
- Undertaking policy research and facilitate consultative processes in support of countries’ efforts to understand and identify adaptation priorities
- Preparation of briefing papers in response to particular requests on specific analysis from partner countries or in disseminating results of research
- Preparation of background notes that could support adaptation project concepts and projects
- Support formulation of NAP documents, as well as adaptation concepts and projects as needed
- Contribution to the planning, implementation and facilitation of regional workshops and
facilitation of stakeholder consultations in the region
- Contact and communication with partner countries to meet their special needs and requirements
for information and support in adaptation
- Interact with stakeholders and project partners for satisfying information needs and identifying
- Support the overall development of policy and analytical research in partner institutions in the
region, as well within the Climate Analytic policy analysis global team
- Participation in meetings at regional climate level as required
- Any other relevant work needed to program adaptation agenda in partner countries and within
The position will require good understanding of scientific background consideration of adaptation related issues
- Familiarisation with Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change working group II reports on climate change and other scientific information
- Understanding and interpretation of the results of quantitative and analytical research on adaptation related issues, of vulnerability and adaptation assessments, of assessments of national and regional climate adaptation information
- Writing of reports, work papers and other information material
You will ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- A Master Degree in geography, economics, development or a related field, a PhD would be an asset
- Minimum three years of experience, preferably more, in policy analysis in the field of climate adaptation, vulnerability and development, preferably in francophone Africa
- Experience with inter-disciplinary work and a profound interest in understanding major challenges of climate change for development
- A well-developed sense for team work, excellent networking skills and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
- Experience in working with governments and regional networks are an advantage
- Excellent English and French writing and verbal skills are a requirement; basic German skills are
welcome, but not required
We can offer a positive and inspiring working atmosphere in an international team as well as insights into the international climate change negotiations and our support work for the SIDS and LDCs.