Natural Resources and Agriculture Economist
Close relatives (spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle) of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. AS to NS or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first performance review after staff has completed at least one full year in the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new position.
This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants need not apply. Applications received in response to previous posting will be considered together with applications received in response to this advertisement.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (CWER) within the Central and West Asia Department (CWRD). CWRD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Central and West Asia region. CWER is responsible for loan/grant and technical assistance processing and administration in the agriculture and rural development (ANR) sector.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Natural Resources and Agriculture Economist will process and administer loan and technical assistance (TA) projects in agribusiness and market value chain development (both infrastructure and non-infrastructure financing projects); and undertake project economic and financial analysis, project costs estimates, and financial due diligence of project operating entities related to project proposals for ADB's Board consideration. Provide information, analytical inputs and innovations in the design and deployment of policies of agriculture, agribusiness development, export orientation and promotion, sector assessments, strategy and road maps. Contribute to assessing public-private partnerships potential and identify partners for division's operations. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks. The incumbent will report to the Director of CWER and may supervise national and administrative staff.
• Provide information, analytical inputs and innovations in the design and deployment of policies of agriculture, agribusiness development, export orientation and promotion, sector assessments, strategy and road maps.
• Conduct economic and sector work such as the identification and analysis of agriculture, agribusiness development, natural resources, and rural development sector development trends, economic analysis for regional and developing member countries specific sector studies. Participate in interdepartmental working groups on rural development sectors and divisional country and thematic teams.
• Undertake productivity and profitability enhancing value chain analysis in rural development, natural resource sector projects including the use of information technology and communication.
• Process and administer of loan and TA projects in agribusiness and market value chain development (both infrastructure and non-infrastructure financing projects).
• Undertake project economic and financial analysis, project cost estimates, and financial due diligence of project operating entities related to project proposals for ADB's Board consideration.
• Liaise with development agencies and partners on collaborative on sector work and cofinancing on agribusiness and market value chain development, food security, rural development and natural resource sector initiatives and investments.
• Ensure quality at entry of project financial, economic analysis, and project cost estimates. Monitor rural development, agriculture/natural resources project, sector/subsector output and outcome indicators.
• Undertake data collection, micro- and macro-economic, and social analyses for assessing the impact of sector policies, strategies and projects on the beneficiaries, and on the overall social and economic development. Evaluate the cost and benefits of projects as well as draw lessons for future projects.
• Participate in sector and thematic meetings, sector groups and other government/development partner consultations to keep abreast of latest developments and issues. Prepare knowledge products based on ADB's operational experience.
• Take the role of team leader to develop capabilities/potential of reporting staff. Track the performance of reporting staff providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance. Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master's degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, finance, banking, or other related specialized fields. University degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, finance, banking, or other related fields, combined with experience in similar organization/s relevant to the scope of work particularly project processing and administration, may be considered in lieu of a Master's degree.
• At least 8 year's relevant experience in leading preparation and implementation of investment projects in the field of agribusiness and market value chain development at project operations level. Familiarity with ADB's sovereign lending business procedures is a priority. International experience working in several countries and in leading multi-disciplinary teams.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
• Provide application of expertise within a specific area, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
• Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
• Able to act as a team leader for investment project preparation and implementation.
• Be an efficient negotiator and team player.
• Act as a mentor to junior team members, providing guidance on projects or processing of loans/technical assistance.
• Act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of junior colleagues.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level IS4
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of three years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.