Organization: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Reference Code: EPA-NSSC-0007-52
How to Apply: Click HERE to Apply
The EPA National Student Services Contract has an immediate opening for a full time Environmental Pollutant Data and Modeling position with the Office of Research and Development at the EPA facility in Research Triangle Park, NC.
The Office of Research and Development at the EPA supports high-quality research to improve the scientific basis for decisions on national environmental issues and help EPA achieve its environmental goals. Research is conducted in a broad range of environmental areas by scientists in EPA laboratories and at universities across the country.
What the EPA project is about
The Center for Environmental Measurement and Modeling (CEMM) conducts research to advance the Agency’s ability to measure and model contaminants in the environment, including research to provide fundamental methods and models needed to implement environmental statutes. Within CEMM, the Watershed & Ecosystem Characterization Division (WECD) conducts to research to help characterize the presence, transport, transformation, sources, and impacts of contaminants in watersheds and ecological systems. In addition, the WECD develops methods, tools, and technologies that are used to inform effective watershed management practices and minimize health risks from various chemical and microbial contaminants.
What experience and skills will you gain?
As a team member, you will prepare data including data curation and analysis for model development and application. In addition, you will perform literature reviews on the effectiveness of conservation practices for nutrient reduction to help seek and evaluate effectiveness of various mitigation practices for water quality improvement.
How you will apply your skills
- Development of fertilizer application database.
- Collecting USGS streamflow and water quality monitoring data for model calibration and validation.
- Model evaluation.
- GIS (Geographic Information System) processing of datalayers of DEM, Soil and landuse/landcover.
- Quality control of geospatialdata.
- Creation of metadata and fact sheets supporting the data.
- Literature review.
- Participating as a member of a multi-disciplinary research team.
- Interacting with other members of the development team as well as EPA scientists.
- Documenting code, methods and data development efforts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Work Experience, and Education
- Demonstrated education and/or experience in (geographic information systems), geospatial data compilation and analysis as well as watershed hydrologic and water quality modeling;
- Strong written, oral and electronic communication skills; and
- Experience programming in Python or R or other scripting languages.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Work Experience, and Education
- Experience using ENVI, and Linux system.
Location: This job will be located EPA’s facility in Research Triangle Park, NC.
Salary: Selected applicant will become a temporary employee of ORAU and will receive an hourly wage of $22.46 for hours worked.
Travel: Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Expected start date: The position is full time and expected to begin September 2021. The selected applicant will become a temporary employee of ORAU working as a contractor to EPA. The initial project is through May 14, 2022, with up to 3 additional option periods.
For more information, contact [email protected]. Do not contact EPA directly.
- Be at least 18 years of age and
- Have earned at least a bachelor degree in the fields of Agricultural Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hydrology, Geology, Geospatial Science, Geography, Environmental Science, Geosciences or a related field of study from an accredited university or college within the last 24 months and
- Be a citizen of the United States of America or a Legal Permanent Resident.
EPA ORD employees, their spouses, and children are not eligible to participate in this program.
- Citizenship: LPR or U.S. Citizen
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree received within the last 24 month(s).
- Overall GPA: 2.00
I certify that I am at least 18 years of age; a recent graduate with at least a bachelor degree in the fields of Agricultural Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hydrology, Geology, Geospatial Science, Geography, Environmental Science, Geosciences or a related field of study from an accredited university or college within the last 24 months; a citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States of America; and not a current employee of EPA ORD or the spouse or child of an EPA ORD employee.
Click HERE to Apply
ORAU is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability); visit the ORAU website for required employment notices.