Water For People is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) that works with people and partners to develop innovative and long-lasting solutions to the water, sanitation, and hygiene problems globally. The organization strives to continually improve, experiment with promising new ideas, and leverage resources to multiply its impact.
The Country Director is the most senior Water For People staff member in Uganda. As such the Country Director is ultimately responsible for managing all aspects of Water For People’s work in the country. This position ensures that the country strategic plans are implemented, reviewed and new strategies developed in line with Water For People’s overall strategy and policy objectives. They manage all employees as well as provide effective management of all Water For People funds and equipment in Uganda. They provide leadership for the country’s influence, advocacy and learning programs and manages a wide range of external relationships at the national and local level, those with government agencies. The Country Director will also play a key role in implementing the D30 Alliance’s strategic objectives and plans in Uganda and more widely in Africa. Water For People expects its Country Director to adopt a collaborative management style, but to ultimately make necessary decisions.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE WORK:
- Lead and Monitor implementation of the Water For People country strategy.
- Produce and implement multiannual plans and budgets to carry forward Uganda country operations in line with the global direction of Water For People.
- Undertake any sector review and/or thematic research in preparation for the next programming cycle.
- Review existing and develop new strategic plans.
External Relationship Management
- Represent Water For People in Uganda and host official visitors to the Water For People program.
- Strengthen relationships with partner organizations, NGOs, government agencies, donors, bilateral and multilateral agencies in Uganda.
- Identify and develop in-country funding opportunities for further program work, including leveraging funds from central, state, and decentralized budgets, and “donors” based in Uganda.
- Oversee the management of Water For People’s programs in Uganda including recruiting, managing, and developing staff and ensuring the correct approval and implementation of projects.
- Implement the country’s standard working procedures in line with Water For People’s overall policies where appropriate.
- Implement Water For People’s financial controls and verify that all in-country staff follow the requirements of those controls.
- Communicate regularly (say, weekly) verbally and via email with Regional Director, Africa.
- Contribute to Water For People’s overall program and policy discussions, at a global level.
Learning and Reporting
- Promote a learning environment among Water For People’s partners and staff in Uganda.
- Develop the capacity of Water For People staff and partners to document their experience for learning and advocacy purposes.
- In co-operation with partners, develop projects that contribute to Water For People’s learning and advocacy agendas.
- Coordinate and manage the preparation and submission to HQ, donors, and the Government of Uganda of quarterly and other (as needed) reports and accounts.
- Coordinate the production of specific reports for fundraising purposes as and when requested by Water For People.
Accountabilities and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with applicable in-country rules and regulations related to in-country staff and property (e.g., taxes, insurance, etc.), with documentation being provided to HQ.
- Ensure individual programs and projects are kept within budget and that program expenditure remains within the annual budget allocation.
- Undertake quarterly financial reviews with all budget-holders in the country to monitor expenditure against budget, provide financial information to in-country staff and partners on project implementation, and ensure that overall project expenditure is on track.
- Ensure that projects are visited regularly by Water For People staff and that partners are provided with technical (incl. financial) and managerial advice and training that enables them to implement projects, and that physical progress and partner monitoring records are regularly checked.
- Oversee the procurement of materials, equipment, and other assets for the Water For People office and program.
- Commission annual independent audit of Water For People-Uganda, as well as project audits as required, in line with Water For People’s International Programs Financial and Accounting Policy.
- Immediately report any financial irregularities to the Regional Director, Africa.
- Produce reports to the Ugandan Government as required.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree or professional qualification in a relevant subject.
- At least 5 years of experience heading a country program
- Significant Experience in business related WASH programming in Uganda
- At least 10 years’ experience in strategic leadership and management of a multidisciplinary team of professionals preferably in water and sanitation
- Experience in resource mobilization and managing multilateral projects
- Experience in developing annual operations plans and budgets for country programs
- Experience working with national and District local governments in Uganda
- Ability to communicate and make presentations
- Position is based at Water For People’s Uganda office with the option to work remote from home in Uganda.
- Position requires regular travel to program sites in Uganda and occasional international travel.
- Position for local resident citizens of Uganda. This is not an international position for expatriates.
All interested applicants must answer this question as part of the cover letter. No application will be evaluated unless a plausible answer to this question has been included in the application.
- If you are selected for this role and given a $1m internal grant to spend the way you believe you will achieve the greatest impact in improving access to improved WASH facilities in Uganda within 24 months. Please share your vision of how you will achieve this objective in no more than 500 words.