The USAID-funded Regional Water and Vulnerable Environment Activity (WAVE) in Central Asia, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Project Manager. This position will be located in the main office in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Tetra Tech is recruiting a highly qualified and motivated Project Manager who will provide overall technical and managerial oversight of the ERAS project, and who will be based in Almaty with frequent travel to the Aral Sea region. The goal of the ERAS project is to provide environmental restoration measures to improve the resilience of landscapes and people in the Northern Aral Sea zone.
The Project Manager will be responsible for leading the project under the direction of the WAVE Chief of Party (COP) and will represent the activity and manage relationships with counterparts, implementing partners, and key stakeholders. They will oversee the development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of ERAS Project activities, including the management of activity design and implementation with implementing partners, consultants, sub-contractors, and grantees. The Project Manager will work closely with the entire WAVE project team and ensure coordination with WAVE objectives and activities.
* In consultation with government counterparts, implementing partners, and key stakeholders, lead and coordinate a co-design process that ensures full support and commitment by all involved.
* Understand and ensure adherence to the regulatory requirements of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the field of water resources, environmental protection, and forestry.
* Oversee the implementation, monitoring, and reporting of all activities, which will include frequent (bi-monthly) travel from Almaty to the Aral Sea region.
*Coordinate with the WAVE Environmental Compliance Specialist on environmental compliance requirements and development of the Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Plan (EMMP).
* Develop, coordinate, and help implement training activities related to afforestation, including those related to water supply, nursery operations, transplantation, and growth monitoring.
*Report regularly to the WAVE COP and the management team at USAID Central Asia on all aspects of the project, including progress, obstacles, and learning.
* Manage the process of site selection and establishment of the field station where all field works will be undertaken.
* Develop terms of reference and coordinate the work of consultants in completing field assessments as input to final technical design of the afforestation project.
* Develop scopes of work and, in coordination with the WAVE project team, procure the services of implementing partners, including contractors and grantees as applicable.
* Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or higher) in an environment and natural resource related field
* Seven (7) years of related professional work experience managing a project of similar size, nature, and complexity
* Work experience related to project design and management in the environment and natural resource sector, ideally in the water resources and/or forestry sectors of at least one of the Central Asia States.
* Engineering project management experience
* Prior experience with USAID procedures
* Knowledge of the legislation, regulatory, and technical requirements of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the field of design (engineering), water resources, environmental protection, and forestry
* Experience in coordinating projects and negotiating with various state bodies of the Republic of Kazakhstan
* Knowledge of the Aral Sea region is desirable
* Fluency in spoken and written English and Russian required, Kazakh preferred.
* Must be able and willing to undertake frequent travel to the Aral Sea region and to Kyzylorda and Nur-Sultan cities.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and any additional requested documentation, if noted above, as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees – 20,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.