Consultant Title: WASH Fundraising Consultant
Reports to: DC Based WASH Team
Deadline: 6PM EST, August 20, 2021
Consultant Engagement: As soon as possible
*Contingent upon funding
Who we are
Population Services International is a global non-profit organization that has 50 years of experience working to shape and influence the delivery of health products that make it easier for consumers to lead healthier lives. PSI harnesses the vitality of the private sector to address the health problems of low-income and vulnerable populations in 40 developing countries across the globe through programs in water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), malaria, reproductive health, non-communicable diseases, and HIV. This includes 20 years of extensive experience in over 20 countries creating markets for household water treatment products, and nearly 10 years landscaping, analyzing, designing, and implementing market-based sanitation interventions in 12 countries in Asia and Africa. Since its founding, PSI’s approach has evolved to primarily focus on helping local institutions and private actors shape markets themselves, with PSI providing technical assistance, coordination, and facilitation. Underpinning our work is PSI’s expertise in user-centered design, social marketing, social franchising, behavior change communication, and supporting the engagement and capacity development of the private sector to deliver to customers products and services that they want to use.
There are over 5,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience—all with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI seeks a WASH Fundrsaising Consultant to diversify revenue sources and increase fundraising efforts in order to maximize the opportunities for a) researching, testing and scaling innovation; b) transferring learning to new contexts, developing strategic partnerships and building a global team that can accelerate delivery of exponential impact; and c) leveraging resources from other institutional donors which require matching or additional funds. Following several years of successfully delivering program results, recent strategic planning has identified the need to increase and diversify funding sources beyond government funding, in order to realize our strategic priorities. PSI’s WASH team seeks consultants to provide the services as outlined in the following scope of work. The WASH Fundraising Consultant will work with the WASH team and members of the Global Fundrasing team, including from the Foundations and Major Gifts teams, Strategic Partnerships team and Maverick team in supporting ongoing efforts, executing new efforts and refining the fundraising strategy to diversify sources of unrestricted and loosely restrictred funds.
Sound like you? Read on.
The PSI WASH team requests the application in the following format in order to make the most efficient application evaluation, consultants should include the following information in their application.
- Contact Information – A description of the consultant and detailed contact information.
- Price Schedule – A description of the consultant’s price schedule – daily or hourly rates.
- Capability Statement – A detailed response to the service/specifications requested, including examples of past successes.
- Consultant’s References – A list of references with detailed contact information (3 minimum)
The application will be evaluated on technical capabilities, past performance, relevant relationships, cost reasonableness, and cost competitiveness.
Scope of Work
The Scope of Work will be executed over the period of August 23-December 17, 2021.
- Assess WASH’s current fundraising program, board and staff expectations, current capacity and environmental context for fundraising, utilizing past documents and plans and limited interviews (LOE 2 days).
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of existing fundraising efforts and infrastructure to determine areas for improvement and development.
2. Build on existing fundraising efforts and further develop and begin to implement a multi-year fundraising plan and implementation strategy to build a fundraising program that generates $350,000-$500,000 annually in unrestricted or loosely restricted (aligned with strategic initiatives) revenue. The plan should align with the WASH team’s strategy and initiatives and be appropriate for the level of effort available from PSI staff to further its implementation. (5 days)
- Evaluate the current fundraising plan, approach, and tactics
- Strengthen the fundraising plan and develop new strategies and tactics to increase WASH’s fundraising efforts from (i) individuals (ii) foundations (iii) corporations (both CSR and non-CSR)
- Recommend key components and tactics for connecting with the donors.
3. Develop new collateral for engaging a variety of types of donors using the range of tactics identified in the fundraising plan (5 days)
4. Work with WASH and Fundraising teams to begin executing on the fundraising plan (LOE 12 days).
- Identify 25 new, vetted, high-potential donors.
- Directly engage at least 10 high potential donors using new fundraising approach and collateral.
- Provide training and guidance to WASH team and members of Global Fundraising team on how to implement the fundraising plan.
- Recommend a potential course of action to identify resources and establish roles to meet the fundraising strategies outlined in the plan.
5. Present and distribute the fundraising plan to select senior members of the fundraising team (LOE 1 day).
What are we looking for?
- The consultant has a proven track record for creative excellence in developing and executing fundraising plans and developing organizations’ fundraising capacity in the global health sector, with a preference for experience in the WASH sector.
- The consultant must demonstrate a proven track record for raising funds from individual and foundation donors and have proven relationships with relevant donors.
- There is a strong preference for a person with familiarity with PSI’s WASH programs and the sanitation subsector, specifically as demonstrated by past (within past 5 years) consultation, employment, or other engagement with fundraising for related peer organizations.
- The consultant must have the ability to work independently, excellent written and verbal communications, and with strong outcomes orientation that gets results.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status, or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.