Executive Vice President | Executive Director
WHAT IS THE AMERICAN WATER RESOURCES ASSOCIATION
Established in 1964, the American Water Resources Association (AWRA) is the pre-eminent multidisciplinary association for information exchange, professional development, and education about water resources and related issues. Among our 2,000 members, you will find a diversity of water professionals and students: scientists, engineers, policy-makers, researchers, consultants, plant operators, and equipment manufacturers. For more than 50 years, AWRA has provided leadership in multidisciplinary water resources management.
WHY WORK AT AWRA
AWRA is an association that deeply values its:
- People — members, volunteers, staff, and contractors
- Fiscal Responsibility — budgeting, record-keeping, and financial reports
- Member Benefits — face-to-face events, on-line webinars, opportunities for leadership development, and recognition
- Public Outreach — website, publications, and relationships with other professional organizations
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR
The Executive Vice President (EVP) is the chief executive for AWRA. This position is appointed by the Board of Directors and is responsible for leadership of the association.
This position is based full-time in beautiful Middleburg in Loudoun County, VA. The position requires significant travel (20%)as this role requires care and attention to the building and maintenance of organizational and personal connections. The EVP is expected to be present at AWRA conferences and events, and also attends major water resources conferences as deemed appropriate and valuable to AWRA.
While the successful candidate is not required to have a background in the water resources profession, he or she must have the aptitude, interest, and commitment to becoming proficient in the water resources field.
The successful candidate will possess:
- 5-15 years of experience in leadership roles; association management experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Organizational management experience
- A results-oriented record of achievement in organizational leadership, strategic thinking, non-profit budgets, and fund-raising
- A deep and thoughtful understanding of volunteer-driven associations
- A proven ability to supervise, train, and develop staff
- Skill in translating membership priorities into programs and service
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
The top candidate will possess:
- Expertise in one of more of the following disciplines:science, engineering, public policy, resource management, GIS/data, or technology
- A Master’s or other advanced degree in management, natural resources science or policy, or other
WHAT ARE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS ROLE
Core responsibilities include:
- Providing vision and strategic thinking in partnership with the Board of Directors
- Ensuring AWRA’s fiscal health
- Optimizing recruitment, development, and supervision of eight professional staff
- Providing oversight of program areas
- Overseeing the implementation of strategic focus areas
In the near-term, EVP’s highest priorities are:
Financial Health. Focus on strengthening the Association’s financial position, enhancing AWRA’s $1.2 million budget with new sources of revenue as well as a business model that improves the Association’s ability to respond financially to unexpected needs and strategic opportunities.
Special Projects. Continue the momentum of a number of special projects, including: the design and launch of AWRA’s 2020 Fund; a new website, social media, and interactive platforms; 2019-2020 specialty conferences; and upcoming international activities.
Core Programs. Engage closely with the Board of Directors, staff, and volunteers to continue the Association’s tradition of identifying and offering relevant and timely programs/content to members and potential members.
As the Executive Vice President, you will be rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with your experience, education, and certification(s).
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should provide a cover letter including salary requirements(not to exceed two pages) and updated resume/curriculum vitae electronically to .
AWRA is an equal opportunity employer, which does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran’s status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.