International Consultancy - Sanitation and Hygiene Expert
The purpose of this consultancy is to support the strengthening and scale-up of Sanitation and Hygiene (S&H) programs in West and Central Africa as an integral part of operationalising the Key Results for Children (KRC) Initiative. This will be achieved through the development of technical guidance for KRC#8, support to knowledge management events in the region, direct support to priority countries (remote and onsite) and support the Regional Sanitation & Hygiene enabling environment by supporting AMCOW to coordinate the AfricaSan International Task Force, and the monitoring and reporting on the N’Gor commitments for sanitation and hygiene.
Scope of work
The consultant will be expected to support capacity-building opportunities, provide technical support for country offices, support regional enabling environment through the support to the AfricaSan processes. The items below show the tasks for which the consultant will be responsible:
OUPUT 1. Operationalisation of Key Results for Children – KRC#8.
Develop/ review technical guidance to support COs to operationalise the change strategies for the Output 8.1“Number of people living in communities certified free of open defecation in the reporting year only as a result of UNICEF direct support”.
- Technical Support to WCARO and Countries
The consultant will support WCARO to provide remote support and advice to country offices engaged on KR4C#8 and high burden priority countries based on the KRC#8 Country Self-Assessment technical support needs and the 2018 Client Survey technical assistance requests for the realization of regional Key Results for Children through skype calls, email exchanges, and webinars on the following areas:
- Review and assessment of current Sanitation and Hygiene programming using country assessment template and any others relevant tools.
- Support the preparation and the facilitation of KR4C#8 quarterly webinars,
- Review and provide comments on sanitation and hygiene components of WCAR country documents (CPD, Sitan, and strategic note etc.), evaluations and reviews, donors report and proposals;
- Provide remote technical assistance and onsite support to WCAR countries for drive to achieve the KRC target.
- Prepare technical content for regional support the organization of regional events
- Capacity-Building and Knowledge Management
Facilitator for West Africa Sanitation Market Forum
The consultant will be responsible for supporting the organization of the West Africa Sanitation Industry Consultation/ Market Forum in Abuja the week of 13-15th November 2018.
- Support UNICEF Country Offices to develop and prepare content,
- Support WCARO and Nigeria Country office to prepare the event
- Support the facilitation of the event sessions and lead report preparation.
- Support webinar to share results with region and other interested countries
OUTPUT 2. Support Regional Sanitation Scale-up: Support AMCOW to coordinate the AfricaSan International Task Force, and the monitoring and reporting on the N’Gor commitments for sanitation and hygiene, and the AfricaSan event.
- Provide technical assistance to AMCOW to coordinate AfricaSan international task force and its sub-committees;
- Contribute to AfricaSan Monitoring and Learning sub-committee coordination workplan;
- Provide guidance for UNICEF staff on the N’Gor declaration monitoring process and country level facilitation.
- Support the preparation, organization of meetings on accelerating sanitation in Africa – West and/or Central Africa Sub regional meeting
The supervising officer will be the Regional Advisor within the WCARO WASH Section. Monthly calls between the consultant and Regional Advisor/Sanitation Specialist will be held via Skype or Skype for Business to ensure progress during the contract. Furthermore, the consultant will be required to liaise with the rest of the WASH WCARO team as well as the Sanitation Team in NYHQ.
Specific education, competencies, qualifications and experience required of the contracted consultant:
- An advanced degree in water and sanitation field, public health or related field;
- At least 12 years’ experience of which half conducting sanitation or hygiene promotion program in several countries at local, national and regional level;
- Have developed or participated in the development of reference materials about sanitation and hygiene: operational guidance, national plans, strategies;
- Have worked in several countries providing technical assistance to government and partners on sanitation programming- experience in West & Central Africa is preferable;
- Prior experience providing technical assistance to continental and regional bodies (e.g. AMCOW, ECCAS, ECOWAS) is desirable;